September Song

Yeah, I'm early. By three days. Indulge me, please. I've had, as I've been telling people, the Summer From Hell.  You don't need the details; just trust me.

It's been in the 88-93 range for most of the past few weeks, with no relief in sight. And humid, too, of course. Everyone is disgusted with everything. Even Lizzy has a kind of hangdog look about her. When the kids were little and tired of summer though they would never admit it, I'd tell them to get out the Monopoly game. And sometimes they would.

My son-in-law is a teacher. A really good teacher. This summer's been good for him; he has had a chance to think through some issues from the previous school year and says he's now in a better place to challenge some of the problems.

That got me to thinking, and I told him, that since he went directly from being educated to educating, he's one of the people who has never experienced not having a summer in which to reboot. September means "fresh start." Look it up if you don't believe me. 

I have long thought that New Year's Eve is actually the first Sunday in September and Labor Day itself is the real start of the new year. Our Jewish brothers and sisters have the right idea, though they are off by a few days. Not a problem.

I remember the first September that I didn't go Back To School on the first Tuesday. I'd not been a good student in high school and started working full time just about a week after graduation. I was standing at the bus stop, waiting for the No. 6 to take me to the train station so I could get to work on time, and I saw the yellow school buses pulling into the high school just across the field. And I had this just awful feeling, like there were no more New Beginnings for me. Ever.

The dogwood leaves are getting dry and crinkly. A school bus or two have driven by, practicing and timing the route. If our garden grew pumpkins, we'd be exclaiming over them. I've started thinking about sweaters (remember sweaters?) and will prolly go out and buy a new spiral notebook for old times' sake. I'm remembering spaghetti and meatballs, which I don't cook during the summer. And, God forgive me, I've even thought that this year a pumpkin spice latte might be in order.

I can sense autumn's approach and I welcome it. The only question is: Can summer be over on Labor Day when we stow the white shoes? Or do we have to wait until September 22?

Comments

Cathy said…
Frankly, I usually go for Summer ending at the Autumnal Equinox because usually the first two to three weeks of September exhibit summer weather, even though I was doing autumn things like returning to school...
Emily Hunsicker said…
I know exactly what you mean about September being the start of the new year!
Barbara Anne said…
Oh, I hear you! I buy new crayons to put in the Goodwill bag because new crayons are part of late summer. My autumn wall quilts will be hung up on September 22, just 'cuz.
A friend of mine was a teacher and she plans a little trip each September just to enjoy the fact she's not in school just a little bit more.

Hugs!
Quiltdivajulie said…
Amen, sister! I love the back to school season and always have. It is still hot and humid here but there are definite signs that the summer growing season is starting to wind down. And while I am not quite ready for the evening darkness to descend earlier and earlier, I can feel the shift to fall beginning in my soul. Beautifully written post - thank you!!
Janet O. said…
Really enjoyed reading this. Interesting thoughts, Nancy. I haven't given this much consideration, but I will be pondering it now. What do I consider the time when I get a fresh start? I love fall, but I don't know that I have associated it with a fresh start.
Juliann in WA said…
The school buses are running again so it is definitely back to school here. I have such high esteem for teachers who have been in the game these last few years. Now, if the weather would just cooperate so we can think about wearing sweaters!
Bridget said…
Yes, I still feel the pull of a new adventure in the fall, 35 years after finishing school! lol Now days I feel like I am missing something in the fall, and when I put my kids on the bus every morning I am a bit jealous! It is also the time I tackle home projects as a substitute for starting a new grade.
Nann said…
And now that schools begin in August we have to adjust that lifelong "new year September" paradigm.