Home at Last

This quilt was begun in November of 2019 when Bonnie and I went on the quilting cruise to Panama. It was finished in late March, 2020, in the earliest stages of the pandemic.

And then it went on the shelf to wait for the right recipient.

In August of 2020, I began volunteering at the local food pantry. The work has become meaningful to me. The Thursday crew of volunteers has been through a lot together -- we're on our fourth director and second location. We've all become friends. 

My job there is working outside, receiving donations, registering clients, and running carts from the inside to the clients' trunks. 

My partner outside -- we'll call her Kim -- is an absolute sweetheart. She really goes out of her way to accommodate our guests, listening to their stories and searching to find the odd things that they may need. I've learned a lot from Kim. 

We've both had more than our fair share of misfortunes this summer and the "mutual conversation and consolation of the brethren" has been important to us. Recently we learned that she's going to have to undergo some unwelcome medical interventions, a surgical removal followed by some radiation, that kind of thing. 

We all know that having a quilt made with love ensures a good recovery, so last night Joe and I went to the high shelf in the spare room and interviewed candidates. Porcelainberry was the lucky winner. She's going to a very good home and I know she'll do her job for Kim.

Comments

Barbara Anne said…
What a wonderful story of the food pantry group and friendships.

I wish Kim well in the medical interventions ahead and am glad you had Porcelainberry ready to ease her unwelcome journey. It's beautiful! I'll keep Kim in my prayers. God will know who she is.

Hugs!
Dee W said…
It's a wonderful job you do at the food bank. My grandchildren used your services, everyone at their bank was so nice, I took her there one afternoon. Yes, our friends sometime need our help even though they don't think they do. This quilt is beautiful, I'm sure she'll love it. Good Job!
Mystic Quilter said…
Your quilt will be treasured by Kim, sounds like she has a difficult time ahead, I do hope things go well for her.
Quiltdivajulie said…
Wonderful decision to gift this quilt to Kim - comfort quilts make a difference for both the recipient and the giver. Just yesterday DH ran into a young couple whose baby had open heart surgery within days of birth (close friends of our elder son/wife). I sent a colorful KF rainbow quilt via elder son to them while they were in the NICU with baby O. When she saw DH yesterday, the mom went on and on about how amazing it was to have that quilt from "The outside world" in the NICU and how it remains one of their most treasured possessions. As makers we cannot truly know the impact of our quilts but we gift them anyway. Here's to kindness!!!
Nann said…
It's a lovely quilt and it will surely comfort Kim. A wonderful gift, Nancy.