Pot Holder Season

I can't tell you how many of "those Tula Pink blocks" I've made. I can't count that high. But over the years, they've been the basis for many quilts. And they are so much fun to make! I knew from the get-go that I was going to abso-bloomin-lutely love making them, so as soon as I got my copy of the book, I took it up to Kinko's and got it spiral-bound.

Late this past spring, the urge struck once again and I made a bunch of Tula blocks, this time using just one color per block. I had a layout in mind. Then they got set aside for more pressing projects.

When I picked them up again, the lay-out was uninspiring and the monochromatic blocks were unexciting. So I set them back down.

I've been known -- in the early autumn of the year -- to get make pot holders. There's often a group of people who gather for a holiday brunch and it's nice to have a little something for them. And a pair of them makes a nice hostess gifty. 

The Tulas rose to the surface again. Six inch pot holders, IMNSHO, are next to useless. But a one-inch border all the way around brings 'em up to eight inches. 

I layered: one bordered block, one square of left-over batting, one square of Insul-Brite, all 8-1/2" with one roughly 12" square of backing and got a lot of practice in machine quilting, stitching in the ditch, then trimming the backing to one inch all the way around and double-folding it in for hand-stitching in front of the television at night.

Stitching in the ditch made some nifty patterns on the back side.

 


Comments

Barbara Anne said…
Good use of blocks you've lost interest in and handy gifts, too!
Autumn is approaching and how delicious is that?

Hugs!