Twenty Seconds?

 

Thirty years ago, when I was a first-year seminary student, one of my classmates -- a divorced woman who lived alone -- was going through a hard time. Without thinking about it, I gave her a hug and it turned from a "token" hug into a "real" hug. At the end, she said, "Thank you for that. I don't get touched much."

That may have been my most important learning from the four years of seminary. 

Early this week, out of nowhere, this popped up on my Facebook page:

“The average length of a hug between two people is three seconds, but researchers have discovered something fantastic. When a hug lasts 20 seconds, there is a therapeutic effect on the body and mind. The reason is that a sincere hug produces a hormone called oxytocin, also known as the love hormone. This substance has many benefits in our physical and mental health, helps us, among other things, to relax, to feel safe and calm our fears and anxiety.”

"Well, that's interesting," I thought, remembering having first learned about oxytocin back in my days with La Leche League. Imagine that giving twenty seconds of my life could have that kind of impact!

That very night I attended a meeting where one of the group's members had returned after an absence of two years. Two years filled with the depleting experience of a slowly dying parent who lived far, far away. This woman had been traveling back and forth to and from western Canada every couple of months, being the rock for her fracturing family of origin. Now she was back here to stay, trying to put the pieces of her life back together. During those two years, I'd somehow become one of her lifelines through the unlikely medium of electronic messaging where a cry for help or a word of support was available at all times.

We met in the middle of the room. I don't know how long that hug lasted. Surely it was at least twenty seconds, likely much longer, and throughout I could feel the change in this woman's body as she began to relax and calm. I think somehow it became a hug from the mother she'd lost and it became, for me, too, a place of security, warmth, and caring as things that had been on my mind faded away. And then we parted, both a little more ready to get on with the meeting, and with our lives.





Comments

Karla said…
I love this. Even as the hugger, the hug is healing. Next time I see you, 20 seconds.
Polly Graham said…
You can count on me for at least 20 seconds any time you need it Nancy. ❤️❤️❤️
Anonymous said…
Your visit to me when I was in the rehab hospital was worth more than I can say. John
Quiltdivajulie said…
Perfect! What an uplifting message this morning. Sending an extended hug to you my friend.
Gryz said…
Next time I see you, you're getting at least a 20 second hug from me.❤️
howdidIgethere said…
As one who lives alone, I'm always grateful for a hug, especially the long, meaningful kind. During and after Covid, there were months on end when I was grateful for contact with my pets, as it was all there was. So relieved that we can safely touch (and hug) again.
Lcrrkhs said…
I was part of a group with Girl Scouts that took girls to Europe. Some were travelling alone. About 3 days in, I asked the other adults: Has anyone hugged those kids? Thankfully the answer was yes, as many adults were assigned one of those solo travellers. The power of hugs.
Barbara Anne said…
Now there is some information I'd never heard. My sweet AMIL once thanked me for bringing hugs into her life as I'd grown up in a family that hugged often. Now AMIL's extended family hugs and of course our boys do, too.
Here's to long hugs to and from everyone!

Hugs!
Mystic Quilter said…
Thank you for sharing this message with us, I found it very uplifting. Everyone needs a hug and the longer the better.
Janet O. said…
This was so timely for me. Once a month I visit for a couple of hours with two friends--one of whom is in a wheel chair with MS, and the other has a husband in the last stages of cancer. I haven't felt like they are huggers, so I haven't imposed my hugs on them, though I was tempted when we met this week. Next time I intend to be braver about it. I'm guessing they could both use it--and I know I could!
Nann said…
Thank you for not only the information but for adding your personal experience. My husband recalls when he was in his first pastorate. After the service as people lined up to say hello/goodbye Norma H. Said, “Pastor, you could use a hug!” And she did. That began the “holy hug,” and he remembers it still.
Char said…
Thank you for posting this.