What's In A Name?

Now maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, y'know, or maybe I've just been paying too much attention to my friend Kristina** (who would argue that it's impossible to pay too much attention to her) but there's something on my mind that this COW* needs to moo about.

It's a bit like that old lack-of-equality medical office  scene where the guy in the white coat greets the woman perched on the end of the examining table (naked except for a disposable pink gown) with, "Hello, Susan. I'm Dr. Barton." Aaargh.

When I was a seminarian, I was fortunate that both of my field education experiences were in congregations that had women pastors, and I learned a good bit from each of them. The second one, in particular, one Pastor Linda Wilson**, had no problem with "pastoral authority," a concept that we heard a lot about at seminary. She was a strong and confident woman, a fine leader and excellent preacher. The people of her congregation called her "Pastor Wilson" or  sometimes "Linda," They never called her "Pastor Linda." When she spoke, then listened.

Among my seminary colleagues were a brother-sister pair. Subsequent to graduation/ordination, they were known as Pastor Green -- not Pastor Paul -- and Pastor Kathy, even though they lived miles apart. 

We recently attended a ceremony where a newly ordained seminary graduate, called to serve a congregation, was installed in the position. Throughout the proceedings, she was referred to as "Pastor Bonnie".

My home church has a calling to support seminary education by employing a third-or-fourth year student as a vicar for one year. This individual functions as a pastor in every way apart from presiding at the Table and performing weddings. As best I can recall (and my memory is at times faulty), the four most recent men and women have been Samuel, Edward, Vicar Beth and Vicar Alice. 

Huh?

As my husband said when I pointed it out to him, "It's a subtle thing." But an important one.

And perhaps it is also infantilizing.

It may well be, I concede, that these women have chosen this form of address. I haven't asked them. But I hope not. 

Because -- to me, at least -- it's one more shred of evidence that the patriarchy is alive and well. But subtly, of course. 

*Cranky Old Woman

**As is my custom, all of the names have been changed to protect both the innocent. And the guilty. Except for Kristina.

Comments

Annemiek said…
The point is that most people don’t even realise that these things are a problem and use to dismiss it. But all mole hills do make up a mountain that needs to be broken down, little by little
howdidIgethere said…
I find this whole issue of using first names vs. honorific and other name (first or last) interesting and also wonder how much the person's choice enters into it. There is definitely a gender factor here, with women far more likely to be called the more casual forms of name and often having the honorific skipped entirely. I would hope that each person would be able to make clear their chosen form of address -- and have others comply or be corrected. Yet, just to complicate the whole shebang, I find that age comes into it too. I was taught (and in turn taught my children) never to address an adult by their first name. But now that I am almost always significantly older than the professional I'm with, I nearly always call them simply by their first name, if they are doing the same for me (which is the norm). Male or female makes no difference to me: not "Vicar Beth" but Beth, not "Pastor Smith" or "Pastor Jim" but "Jim". I confess that in certain medical settings, I do default to "Dr..." but I am seldom addressed by name at all in those places of brief meetings.
Judi said…
This is a thought-provoking post Nancy.

I do also wonder if (assuming each pastor is choosing how they introduce themselves and thus how they are generally addressed) that some feel the need for the surname to give them "authority" and others prefer to present an air of "friend" so use their Christian name. Oh...do I mean Christian name or do I mean First name....there's another can of worms....
Juliann in WA said…
So much here is ringing loudly for me. We have families at our church who instruct their children to call me Miss Juliann but they call my husband by his first name. I have asked them to drop the Miss but it seems so ingrained. I hadn’t realized why it bothered me until I read your words. Thank you for this.
Nann said…
Add the title-or-not to the confusion caused by our increasingly casual way of using first names for everyone (telemarketers and more) -- when do we address a stranger by title and when is it okay to go right to the first name? I still, occasionally, get "Miss Nann," a holdover from public library youth services. My husband was fine with Pastor Steve or Rev. Hilyard. And when I think about it our pastors (after S's retirement) have been Pastor FirstName regardless of gender.

Barbara Anne said…
For the last 30 years, our pastors whether women or men, have introduced themselves by first names and that's what they were called by all adults at church. The kids addressed them as Pastor ___. Go figure. 'The times they are a'changin' or have changed. Moo on!

Hugs!
Mrs. Goodneedle said…
Like Barbara Anne said: it seems that any pastors we’ve had in the past twenty years use their given first name after “Pastor”, regardless of male or female. It’s the current trend and vastly different than it used to be and seems less respectful, in my opinion.
Quiltdivajulie said…
The biggest surprise to me when we moved from IN to TN was the moniker "Miss Julie" (TN) instead of Mrs. Sefton (IN). After almost 35 years, I am so used to it that it barely registers any more but it was hard to get used to. It was explained to me that it was a blend between formal and informal - less rigid than Mrs. Sefton but not as casual as Julie (this was particularly aimed at the children). In all fairness though, DH was known as Mr. Larry, so at least in that context there was little difference between the genders. As you said in your post, I do hope the pastors are able to CHOOSE the way they are greeted and spoken to/about rather than having to accept whatever approach was used by the previous person.
Anonymous said…
At 70 + I have been waging war against this type of thing for a long long time. I don't mind the Southern "Miss Your Name" - local custom, same for both genders, etc. I'm also OK with being called "Hun" in Baltimore, for example.

But the "I'm Doctor Smith and you are First Name" no. I usually just smile and say "I prefer to be addressed as Ms. XX". All my office visit records probably have a notation about me being a crank.

Ceci
Millie said…
I too am a COW. I call my OB-GYN “Scott,” which is, after all, his name. He never corrected me. Smart man. It’s why I am a patient of his.

While we are in the subject, my son would bring his friends home from school ( either high school or college) and they often referred to me as “Mom”. I wasted no time in correcting them. “I am not your Mother. You can call me Ms Tyler.”
Barbara Anne said…
I've missed you. Hope all is well with you and the family.

Big hugs!