Mitzi


During the four years that Joe and I dated prior to marrying, we made a fair number of trips "up home," as his parents referred to the town in upstate Pennsylvania where they'd grown up and where most of the family on both sides still resided. Sometimes we'd stay with his grandmother who lived in the rural area, but more often we'd stay with Grandma, who lived in town.

Grandma had once -- only once -- long ago had a dog. She was an orange Pomeranian and her photo was in the dining room for all of the years I ever went there. Her name had been Mitzi and she had been beloved. Although I never met this hallowed animal, I can still envision that photograph and on the rare occasion that I encounter an orange Pomeranian, I always think to myself, "That's a Mitzi-dog."

My friend Laurie has been going through things left by her recently deceased uncle and the other day she posted on Facebook about a group of photos she found, photos of people she didn't know and her mom didn't either, and it occurred to her that with the passing of her uncle, now no one would ever know who they were. 

For some very peculiar unknown reason this made me think of Mitzi. Joe is now the oldest person in his family; his brother and oldest cousins are all some six or seven years younger, and while -- when pressed -- he admits to having a memory of Mitzi, none of them would. 

So, when we're gone, there will be no one with real live memory of Mitzi and no one who thinks (and sometimes says aloud), "That's a Mitzi-dog." And why I felt compelled to write this post is yet another thing that no one -- self included -- will ever know.





 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was also going through photos, some names known others not. I have such a hard time discarding photos, as though the people in them will feel slighted. Silly, I know.
In recent months, The first of my siblings has passed. It changes your thought pattern. Yes, better enjoy every day, but also there is a pall on the path ahead. My sister has had some health issues that normally would not cause unusual concern, but now, what if….
So those photos capture a moment when we were carefree with a full life ahead, children as babies, now grown, Christmases shared, birthdays and graduations.
Perhaps in years they will be discarded, people wondering who were these people? But for now they are treasures of a childhood, momentous occasions, important enough to record. And you know what, there will probably be more to come because there is always something or someone in this life to be celebrated. Just pondering. Dotti in CT
Barbara Anne said…
Hope someone will write on the back of Mitzi's picture, "Mitzi - beloved by Grandma ______" and the years of her life.

I need to add information on a bazillion photos here. True confession, I'm tossing bland scenes without people or anything else of interest shown. No one will ever know.

Hugs!
Quiltdivajulie said…
Like Barbara Anne, we have purged my mothers (and his moms) 35 mm slides, keeping only those with identifiable people in them. In the case of slides, we wrote the names on the paper frame. Photographs are harder since writing on the back can cause issues if not done properly. And as to why you felt compelled to write your post, I think so many of us are the oldest in our families now (the elders) and we're feeling it. I agree with Dotti - hopefully you can pass on the "that's a Mitzi dog" to your grandchildren (perhaps some sort story book with Grandma and Mitzi and your memories?). They might not realize the value now, but once we are gone and they can't ask us questions . . .
Nann said…
We all have family expressions or code words that evoke memories (hopefully happy ones) and tumble into more remembered episodes. These stories lose some of their luster when they have to be put into context in order to make sense to someone outside the circle. Mitzi is just the name for a fluffy dog like a Pomeranian!