,

 

I met a guy recently.

I've taken to volunteering in the church office one morning each week. I perform highly skilled tasks, mostly folding bulletin inserts and then inserting them in said bulletins. It's rhythmic work and the church secretary is a delightful person and from time to time someone else pops in and that keeps it interesting.

So, one morning this guy that I didn't know came in and got right to work, standing at the counter, going over a bulletin and making suggestions and corrections. He was earnest and knowledgable and the secretary seemed to be grateful for his help (let the record show that in her previous life she was a dental hygienist, known more for plaque removal than elegance of syntax). They worked intensely for a bit and then there was a break and we were introduced.

He told me that he was a retired editor from Philadelphia's major newspaper and was happy to use his experience to assist our church. I liked him right away and told him that I had been the fifth grade spelling champion and spent many years as an executive secretary. And then he got right to the heart of things, asking me, "So where are you on the Oxford comma?" I was utterly delighted. I immediately told him that I was very much in favor of the O.C., and he replied (as I knew he would) that he was too and we both sighed and smiled, and I knew we were going to get along famously.

That's all.

Comments

Quiltdivajulie said…
I love the Oxford comma, too (although I must confess I didn’t know that was its name).
Anonymous said…
They say that you should learn something new every day. Today I learned about the Oxford comma. I had to look it up. I can see where it would clarify what is being written about. Thanks for the lesson today.
Janet O. said…
I love the story, the illustration, and the Oxford comma.
Barbara Anne said…
Me, too!

Remember, "Let's eat Grandma" v "Let's eat, Grandma"
That comma makes a BIG difference to Grandma!!

Hugs!
Anonymous said…
First, I am very hopeful of someday meeting Janet the clown/acrobat. Second, I am a great believer in the Oxford comma and became embroiled in quite an argument when my former federal agency hired someone to "clean up and clarify" our written products by, among other things, eliminating "unnecessary" commas. My contention was that there is nothing unnecessary about Oxford commas and thus they were still permissible.

Ceci
Millie said…
I'm a huge fan of the Oxford comma. There's a nifty grammar book that is titled "Eats, shoots and leaves." Because you know, "Eats shoots and leaves" is quite a bit different.

hugs
Nancy said…
What a fun anecdote. I love the Oxford Comma for its ability to clarify. It's interesting to note that everyone who commented on this post is also in favor of the O.C.
Nann said…
I proudly display the button (from Univ. of Chicago press) that says, "I'm pro comma and I vote!"