Feathers for Susan

The bee that I coordinate for my guild is beginning its third year of most of us being together. This year we're all going to work on paper-piecing. I don't know how many, if any at all, are reformed cat washers* like I am, but we've pretty much agreed that we'll do paper-pieced blocks that don't have more than three sections to assemble. And we'll mostly use solids. We'll see how it goes.

Susan is a charter member of the bee and she had the honor of going first. She wants a rainbow of feathers, and judging by the photos the group has posted on Facebook, a rainbow is what she is going to get. 

I knew I had a lot of greens, so I started that feather first. When it was finished, I began digging for purples. Since it's my favorite color, I was sure I'd have a lot to choose from. To my surprise, I kept coming up with scraps of my least favorite color and I decided to just go ahead and turn them into a feather!

I'm pleased with how they turned out and Susan seems to be, too.

When I saw Polly last week, she gave me her feathers to pass along to Susan and since I've got the temporary custody, I think it's right for me to share them with you:




*It's been a good many years since I [in]famously proclaimed, "I'd rather give a cat a bath than paper piece!"





 

Comments

Nann said…
Cat washing is a great metaphor and now it will dance around the edges of my awareness. Meanwhile, the monochromatic feathers are a great block for an exchange.
Barbara Anne said…
Paper piecing and I have had a tenuous relationship over the years (decades?!) but it is certainly not my favorite technique.

Great feathers!!

Rain over ice here and that's a great formula for the ER complaint of "slipped and fell on ice". I'll be staying indoors lest I damage myself!

Hugs!
Quiltdivajulie said…
Her quilt is going to be beautiful (and I am still a member of the cat washing club despite your inspiration).
Millie said…
I'm with Julie. No cat washing here.
Judi said…
As so often happens, I see what you are working on and a "me too" moment comes over me!

Pattern downloaded. Now all I need is some time!
LoieJ said…
These will look great all out together! I haven't been on your blog or commenting for quite awhile, mostly due to cutting back on just about everything, because of 2 spine surgeries. Sewing should be easy, just sitting in a chair, but no. There's too much bending and reaching, even with my reacher grabber. So I'm reading quilts stuff to get back into thinking about creative sewing. Re paper piecing: the second class I ever took, probably in about early 1990s, was a paper pieced wall hanging of stylized flowers. It turned out really nice, but I should have used more vibrant colors. Live and learn. A few years later, I did a paper pieced small quilt,and then I was so done with PP. But a book of PP flowers caught my eye, on line. I would have never purchased it if I had had it in hand. The squares were really really small and contained as many as 50 pieces. I thought Life is Too Short. Now I'm just doing easy things like hot pads.
Janet O. said…
These are great feather blocks. I am liking what I see.
Years ago I took a one-time class on foundation paper piecing, and I proclaimed, "Never again!"
But the day came that I wanted a result that could only be achieved with that method. I tolerated it to get the outcome. After enough of those experiences, my attitude shifted to "It's not my favorite thing, but I can do it when I have to." Now I wouldn't even say I don't like it. I still don't love it, but I am not opposed. :)
That which you persist in doing, etc., etc.