Merricks Update: Early August

So, the oval pies were a welcome relief to piece and assemble. And I spent a few evenings doing just that. Bit by bit, piece by piece, Merricks is coming together, though there is still the dratted lozenges panel that I really don't think I'm going to be able to do. 

I've become very, very fond of hand piecing all of these light colored and low volume elements. I haven't turned my Bernina on in a good while, but that's okay. 

As far as the lozenges panel, I think I'm going to replace it with some embroidery! There was a bit from Pick A Petal that looked like embroidered dandelions that I loved doing and love seeing. I could get Joe to draw the embroidery lines for me and just do it.

Currently I'm working on the squished sawteeth (plural of sawtooth) blocks. I was befuddled for a while when I began assembling them. Since they are squished [rectangular] rather than square, it didn't make sense that the exact same piece was used for the side triangles in both the side geese and the top/bottom geese. I did fail geometry in tenth grade (more years ago than I think I should admit) but even I knew that the angles wouldn't add up to what they needed to be.  And it didn't work when I first began. Himself knew a challenge when he saw one and took the pieces and the directions down to his drawing table and went to work. And discovered that I was applying the side triangles upside down! There will be four of them, with strips of solid something (likely purple) as separators. The first one came out perfectly!

Stay tuned!

 

Comments