Monday, October 23, 2006

Water for Elephants


I don't know when I last read a book that I'd rate as an "A+." Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen is such a book. It alternates in time between present day, a 93-year-old man in a nursing home reminiscing, and the past, the time that he spent -- unexpectedly -- working for a circus. The book is very well crafted; I really didn't anticipate the ending at all. The characters are credible and the circus lore is fascinating. The best part of all: I never expected to fall in love with an elephant. There's a waiting list for this title at my local library. For very good reason.

3 comments:

floribunda said...

thanks for the recommendation, Nancy! I've seen this title, but didn't know anything about it. My library has 35 holds for the book, but only 1 for the audio discs -- so I signed up for it. I love listening to books in the car and while sewing.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Nancy, I find myself returning to your blog; I'm glad you found me first... otherwise I may have missed out on your insights and recommendations. I am certainly taking this one (Water for Elephants) under advisement. Thanks! I feel like we have a lot in common and I look forward to coming back here often.

Anonymous said...

One of my nursing colleagues highly recommended this book, too. And now an A+ from one of my favorite people. It's going to the top of my next to read list.

Kathy B