Monthly Blocks

One of my internet quilting groups, Fat Quarters (no comments, please!) has a monthly project where we each take a turn sending out a fabric of choice with a specific request for a block. Sometimes it is "any block of this particular size using this fabric." Sometimes it is "this particular block using my fabric for the HSTs and WOW for the background and fabric you add for the rest of the block." I enjoy this each month because it stretches me. There are times when I need to make a block I've never made before and sometimes it is a complicated block that I learn to do. This month Molly did something different: She sent all of the fabrics for her block (the name of which escapes me at the moment!) and asked us to put it together. Took a while. Was fun, though. I enjoyed making one of it. Prolly would find it tedious to make twenty or thirty of them!

Similarly, another internet group, the Birthday Runaways (don't even ask) has a process where each month we receive a specific request from a member or two. It pretty much works the same way as the Fat Quarters group's project does. Again, sometimes I find myself working with orange, a color that doesn't generally occur to me as a starting place. Other times I learn about a new block I'd like to make again and again and again. That was the case this month, when Linda sent us two different yellows and asked us to add six different navy blues to make Fireflies in the Moonlight blocks for her. I so enjoyed seeking out the fabrics and putting this block together for Linda. Was thinking it could also be stunning in Christmas colors on cream or WOW background. Can't wait to see Linda's finished quilt!

Comments

Ms. Jan said…
I love the Fireflies block. A definite way to perk up an old Friendship Star. Great work!
Nicole said…
What a great group project. I love being stretched a bit too. It is a learning process to tackle something you normally would pass right by. The blocks are great.
Karen said…
Both blocks are stunningly beautiful!
I can see why she sent all the fabric for that block! You're right because I would make about 2, maybe 3 and then get so bored they would end up in the Orphan Box.
CONNIE W said…
Love the names of your groups! The blocks are looking great. Makes me want to go sit and sew right now!
Susan said…
Both the blocks are great. I really like Molly's choice, and I've never seen that Fireflies block before. So are you going to do a whole quilt in it now? =)