It Started on Facebook, of All Places

She works where I work, but our paths never crossed. She works in a location as far from mine as can be. I'd see her in the cafeteria occasionally and I knew her name. But that was all. Then one day that name popped up on my Suggested Friends list and I thought, "Why not?" At least that's how I remember it.

And through Facebook, I came to know this amazing, funny to the point of hilarious, clever, sensitive, bright (oh quit blushing if you are reading this!) woman. She and her partner are the generous people who gave us the kitchen, rocking horse, and dollhouse for our grandchildren. And expected nothing in return other than photographs of the kids using them.

When the crumb-people bug bit me, I knew I wanted to make that kind of a quilt for them. It started out being called Rogues' Gallery but somewhere along the line became known as It Takes All Kinds. You can see some of the people by clicking on the picture to make it bigger. We're giving it to them this weekend. I can't wait.

Comments

Brenda said…
great fabric, great quilt, great story!
Carol said…
Funny, I was just trying to think of how it started...some people you are just meant to be friends with. I am snuggled under this very quilt, watching "The Help," smiling. It was not an easy weekend, but it suddenly got so much better. This quilt, I'm fairly certain, has magical powers...as do you, my friend.
Quiltdivajulie said…
Here's to seizing opportunities and making the most of them! Lovely results!
diana said…
Love!!!! What a beautiful creation and a beautiful gift!
Bobbi said…
Who says FB is for kids. Good story, good friendship. Lucky for both of you.
Fitzy said…
ya done good girlfriend.
LizA. said…
I love the skinny little smashing. It really adds a neat "zing" to this. What a fun quilt. Btw, it's YOUR fault that I spent part of today making some granny square blocks......
Char said…
Great story, great quilt!
Anonymous said…
There's nothing like giving a quilt to say thank you. Especially to a special friend.
Janet O. said…
What a wonderful gift to good people! You found great border fabric for this, and I, too, love the look the tiny sashing and cornerstones give. Way to go, Nancy!
Nicole said…
What a fitting tribute!