What the Well-Dressed Peasant is Wearing?

Oh, it's a terrible picture, and I wish it weren't! I've had such fun this weekend. I stopped at the LQS on the way home from work on Friday, having purchased and downloaded a couple of patterns through Craftsy. I was looking for bright fabrics, but what I found and loved was far from bright.

This Peasant Skirt has two layers. The top layer is ballerinas and that layer has a delicious rick-rack edge. The under layer is ballet shoes. And the Peasant Blouse is made from the ballet shoes. I imagine it can be worn tucked in or left over the skirt -- we'll see when the recipient tries them on. The back of the blouse has some dear little ties, too.

I've got a sage/peach/pink floral dress in progress now, and am up to the point of needing to make the buttonholes -- six of 'em -- in the bodice front. I used to be a wiz at buttonholes back in the days of my Kenmore, but since I got my Bernina (golly, it's been more than fifteen years now!), I've not had good luck with them. Tonight I used iron-on interfacing and made a trial buttonhole and it turned out pretty well. Tomorrow when the light is good, I'm going to make one more trial and then plunge in. Then it is putting the skirt on, and a couple of other tiny things, and viola! we'll have a Fairy Tale dress!

I bought some peach to  make a blouse for her to wear under the dress until the weather is warm enough to go without. I'll start that once the dress is done.

This is such fun!


Comments

Janet O. said…
So, so cute, Nancy! It looks like fun. When my girls were little I loved making all of their clothes. My only granddaughter doesn't need my sewing skills. Her other grandma lives by some outlet stores and has money to burn. She hardly gets to wear things twice before she grows out of them, she has so many clothes. So I make her quilts and leave the clothing to the outlet stores. But I did love creating cute little dresses. The Fairy Tale dress sounds wonderful. Can't wait to see it.
BTW, I still get out my 34-year-old Viking to make my buttonholes! : )
Lurline said…
Just so pretty!
Hugs Lurline.
Lurline said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda K said…
Too cute!! I have to admit a little jealousy, as my children have cats and dogs, no grandchildren for me! I loved making clothes for my little ones back in the day, especially my daughter, of course. Have fun!
LizA. said…
How cute! I'd say you've caught the "sewing for grandchildren" bug from Mrs. G.......
adorable outfit; we should all have one i think...