Summer Reading 2013

I waited five months for The Burgess Boys. It had been recommended to me back in later February and I placed a reserve at the local library. There were, I think, 228 people ahead of me! Elizabeth Strout is the author of Olive Kitteridge, which the book club read -- and loved -- several years back. I believe this to be her first novel since.

Yes, it was worth the wait. The story is intriguing, but what was captivating was the relationships between the brothers Burgess and their sister Susan. The men are both attorneys, and are not particularly close with each other or with their sister. But when Susan's teen-age son gets into trouble, she turns to them and they respond. In doing so, they both experience tremendous personal growth.

This story unfolds beautifully. I recommend it without reservation.

Comments