Mardi Gras


Two and a half weeks ago the quilting circle at my church held its twice-a-year quilt day, when two dozen women gather in Fellowship Hall to work on their individual projects. We begin with a light breakfast, have a serious lunch with deadly desserts around noon, and I don't know when it ends because I usually leave at two o'clock. It is so much fun to wander around and see what everyone is working on.

I started this quilt that day. I had seen a picture someplace of a quilt like this with a white background and I had recently acquired two stacks of Tula FQs that I knew would be just right. I pieced a lot of HSTs that day, and that's as far as I got.

Yesterday it was nearly finished and I thought that since it was Fat Tuesday, "Mardi Gras" would be a good name for it. I was two hours short of finishing yesterday and brought it to completion tonight. But I'm not going to change its name to "Ash Wednesday."

Comments

Janet O. said…
This quilt is a party, and Mardi Gras is a great name--so much better than Ash Wdnesday.
I really think black was the better choice. The colors shine so much brighter with that contrast.
Anonymous said…
WOW - I love quilts that are colorful. And that quilt is that for sure. You have done a great job. Thanks for sharing.
Quiltdivajulie said…
What fun! And definitely keep the original name.
Love this quilt with the perfect name. I like it much more with a black background than white. I'm wondering what it 's dimensions are. It's great!
xx, Carol
Nanci said…
Beautiful and full of color and Mardi Gras is a perfect name. I am moving from Texas just north of Philadelphia so wondered how close to Philly you are. I'll definitely be looking for quilt group once I get there.
Barbara Anne said…
Laissez les bon temps rouler!! Let the good times roll, as they say in NO!! What a joyful quilt and well done in getting the top together so very quickly! The black background color really sets off the other fabrics.

Hugs!
That's really pretty! It is a festive quilt! All those dots remind me of Mardi Gras beads so it is a perfect name!
Robby said…
This qu8lt certainly has the festive feel of Mardi Gras. With the black background, you could even imagine the juxtaposition of Mardi Gras with Ash Wednesday on the horizon. Well done!