A Lovely Morning

I had such a nice morning! Open Book, the independent bookstore closest to Near Philadelphia held an event and I got to attend with two of my friends.

About thirty years ago I had occasion to go to nearby Elkins Park for some reason or another. The place is like a maze. Seriously. It was a Sunday afternoon and I was lost there for about a month. I thought I would never see my loved ones again. There's a street called Ashbourne Road that is particularly winding and awful. In fact, there is a dreaded intersection where Ashbourne Road meets Ashbourne Road. I was frozen in place there with no idea how to get home. Once home, I never went back.

Now there's this bookstore there. And recently they advertised that they were having none other than Ann Patchett come and give a talk to promote her newest book, The Dutch House. I've long admired this author and thought I might like to attend. But go to Elkins Park? 

I mentioned the event at a recent meeting of my book club and instantly Emily was all over it. She offered to drive! 

As it turned out, the event was to be held not at the bookstore itself, but at a big synagogue Near Elkins Park. Three of us bought tickets that included a signed copy of the book. There must have been 500 people present!

If you ever have the opportunity to hear this woman speak, go for it. Even if it means driving into a maze. She's just fabulous. Funny. Insightful. Brilliant. We had the best time and I can't wait to start reading my signed copy. And, one of these days, when I'm feeling courageous, now that I've got GPS on my phone, I'm going to visit the bookstore. Seriously.

Comments

Barbara Anne said…
What bliss to be able to hear Ann Patchett speak and to have a willing chauffeur to get you there and back home worry-free. Cheers for Emily!

We call those "where the heck are we?" times "adventures in driving". It helps if you're not alone in the car and that's for sure.

Hugs!
howdidIgethere said…
I love her books! Envious that you to hear her speak!
Janet O. said…
I haven't read her, but I really laughed at your story about being lost in Elkins Park area--for about a month.:)
Quiltdivajulie said…
Having and using a GPS has reduced my getting lost while going places by almost 100%. Good luck with your next solo visit to the bookstore!
Denise in PA said…
I love Ann Patchett! So sorry I missed that. I will check out her new book. I chuckled at your description of Elkins Park!!