Triangles: Six



More than twenty-five years ago, I spent the month of September learning Greek. I was a first-year seminary student and the very first thing we did was spend four weeks learning one year's worth of Koine Greek. We worked from 8 or 9 in the morning until 5 in the afternoon. There were optional evening and Saturday morning sessions. After mastering the Greek alphabet, the next task was to learn the rules for which syllable of a word gets accented. I've long since forgotten the rules (and most of the Greek, sad to say), but I do remember and cherish a word I learned in this class. 

There are three possible syllables to take the accent in Greek: the last, the penultimate, and -- here it comes! -- the antepenultimate. Yes! The antepenult (as our teaching assistant Tracy was fond of abbreviating it) is the syllable before the next to last! The next to next to last! A glorious word, I think, and one I have precious few occasions to summon.

I woke at 5:38 this morning and never did get back to sleep. So after trying, I got up, snuck downstairs, and began putting triangles together, all the while thinking joyfully about that month of Greek where I first met and bonded with Sharon and Vetch and Ingrid and Kurt D. Abrahamson, and remembered Tracy's coming to class near the end of the third week wearing a dress (when pressed for an explanation she sheepishly responded, "Laundry day"). I remembered getting to know, respect, and admire Dr. Reumann and marveling at how quickly Craig and Patrick seemed to catch on. But mostly I thought about those syllables and those accents. Because I was assembling the antepenultimate row of triangles!      

δόξα τω θεώ!*


*Thanks be to God!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love everything about this entry, especially "antepenultimate."
Quiltdivajulie said…
A most excellent word (and state of accomplishment for the current project) indeed. And oh, that snail today is fabulous!!
Anonymous said…
Wonderful memories and the blessing of long lasting friendships. Thanks for the memories.
Vetch :)
Lcrrkhs said…
Clearly snails have prevailed over your 'love' of bathing cats.
Janet O. said…
A great story to illustrate your progress on your current project. What a wonderful word to know.
And I get such a kick out of each little snail at the end of the posts. I imagine them smiling, but not saying a word.
Barbara Anne said…
Love the memories and your mastery of Greek all those years ago along with the wonderful friendships made then. I also love the new-to-me word: antepenultimate. DH took Greek in seminary but, alas, it's still all Greek to me (okay, bad joke).

Applause on the progress you made early today on the triangles quilt and the new snail!

Hugs!
Judy B. said…
Your mind, Dear Person, never ceases to amaze me!! What a great story!! and, best of all, (penultimate to us less educated), a gorgeous quilt!! Sending laughter & love.