Remembering

On September 11, 2002, I was working at the Quaker School and since it was a Wednesday, each division held Meeting for Worship. Middle School met outdoors that day, and that was the Meeting I chose to attend.

At one point, as the students shared their thoughts about the significance of the day, one little girl stood and said, "Everyone says it is a terrible day and it is a terrible day. But it is also my birthday, so there are good things about even a terrible, terrible day."

At the close of the Meeting, I found her and said, "I'm glad you were born! It's also my son's birthday and I wish I could give him a birthday hug. But he lives far away and I can't. May I give you a birthday hug instead?" She opened her arms and she opened her heart and we stood there together for a long, sweet moment. And every year after that, as long as she was at the school, she would come and find me on September 11 for a birthday hug.

Today, twenty years after September 11, 2001, I'm remembering once again, that even on a terrible, terrible day, there are good things. And sending warmest birthday wishes to my Tom, to Paul, to Woody's Mom, to Natalie's husband, and the others whose birthdays today break into the terribleness.
 

Comments

Barbara Anne said…
How sweet. This is another kind of redemption.

Hugs!
starsthatblaze said…
Another good thing...today is our wedding anniversary. One of our children chose September 11 for her wedding day because her husband's parents also had been married on September 11. So today has many good memories for our family. Thank you for your lovely story.
Janet O. said…
We can't forget what happened, 20 years ago--that would be wrong. But you are spot-on that we also need to look around and see the good, even on such a day as this. Thank you for sharing this sweet memory.
JoZart Designs said…
The story is so moving and, even though we cannot remember those lost individually, they will never be forgotten all over the World.
During a rare precious visit to family in Germany, as I tucked my 7 year old grand daughter in bed, she told me of the bad day she had gone through but added that even though we have bad days we do have good days too and the bad ones help us to realise how good the good days are. It is lovely to hear that you can still appreciate the good days.
Thanks from Liverpool, England for this poignant memory.

Nann said…
Friends celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary this past Saturday. We can find the good for any of the 365 dates -- and make the day itself a good one.