In Which Lizzy Is Blessed

Our pastor has done a lot of blessing in recent weeks. My regular readers know that a dozen quilts were blessed two weeks ago as they were designated to go to individuals who were experiencing homelessness. Back-to-school season brought the blessing of the backpacks and we smiled to see the enormity of the backpacks that these little ones carried in.

Yesterday was another blessing event, an annual one that we've never attended before. But a Certain Someone has been wreaking havoc recently, declaring mayhem on any and all stuffed toys, and it sounded like an interesting little outing. Perhaps a little blessing was in order. 

The bulletin had indicated that all pets were welcome: live and stuffed (and we trusted that no taxidermy was involved in the latter); I pretty much expected a group of little girls with their unicorns and whatevers. 

I was mistaken. There were five relatively well-behaved canines and one woman who wisely brought a photograph of her cat and not a single unicorn. There was considerably more of a liturgy than I'd anticipated with appropriate readings and a couple of hymns. Each dog in turn was blessed by the pastor or the vicar and rewarded with a biscuit (no wine). The pastor quipped, "See how pupular I am!"









 

Comments

Barbara Anne said…
How sweet it is! Hope the blessing curbs the assaults on the stuffed toys.

Hugs!
Quiltdivajulie said…
There are congregations here who do the same. Mayhem is pretty normal with a young dog but I hope the blessing helps calm things a wee bit.
Annie said…
You’re fortunate no one brought some of what attends my parish’s St. Francis Day blessing. One of my sheep tried to eat a choir member’s sheet music once. All we like sheep, have gone astray…
LizA. said…
Our Blessing of the Animals is coming up on the 17th. We attended the outside event last year and our Ripley girl, the “I’m here, let’s start the party” girl will behave better than she did last year…….Freyja was and is the “good girl”. 3 years ago we had about 12 dogs, 1 cat and a bunny……
Denise in PA said…
I love the pet blessing! What a wonderful thing. And, I hope it helps with the toy destroying - LOL!