New Reading Program

From the time I learned to read when I was five, I was of the firm opinion that there was no better way to spend my time. I still believe this to be true; however, since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, my reading gave way to hand-piecing and to more time on the laptop: When Scrabble "died," it was replaced by Words With Friends, I discovered the Catan Universe website, and took up with another game so banal that I won't name it here. Perhaps anxiety over the pandemic (building on anxiety about our former President) interfered with my concentration. Perhaps the library's being closed set me down the wrong path. I dunno. But I've been aware that I haven't been reading as much as I used to and wanted to do something about that.

Enter Jan to the rescue! My friend invited me to join an on-line book club that seems to be designed to broaden one's reading. Throughout the year, members choose books from twelve different categories, read, and write a wee book report. I didn't hesitate for a minute.

My first book is finished. It fits into the category of "a book recommended by a librarian." A member of my neighborhood book club who happens to be a librarian chose Crooked Heart for us to discuss in January (you won't need to point out anything about stones and killing birds; I'm well aware that this could be construed as some sort of double-dipping; but, whatever).

Another book set in London During The War, this one is different from any other that I've read. Chock-full of very interesting characters, the main pair are a woman who is lacking in scruples and a young boy who doesn't fit in with other children. Together they accomplish wonders. There's a woman who writes impassioned critical letters to Winston Churchill and a man with a heart arrhythmia who -- for a fee -- will substitute for healthy men at their pre-conscription army physicals. The story moves right along and is far from predictable. A favorite bit of writing is about a man who smiled "to reveal teeth like old toenails, grey ridges flaring into yellow."

I'd give it a B+. You might like it, especially if you need to find a book recommended by a librarian (once removed).

Comments

Nann said…
Catan was a crossword puzzle clue today. I will have to look that up. Meanwhile, thank you for the book recommendation. I had not heard of Crooked Heart and I will put it on reserve today. What are the other prompts for the book club selections?
Barbara Anne said…
Thanks for the book review and I, too, will make a note of this title as I currently have about 15 library books to read, so cannot reserve it today. Last week 3 of my reserved books were suddenly available, leading to my abundance of library books.

I love to read, too! When our sons were in need of being grounded, they were allowed to read and so go anywhere the books took them.

Hugs!