What's Happening: January's End, 2022


What's happening Near Philadelphia right about now? Quite a bit, actually!

For one thing, Wensleydale's a finished flimsy. Here's the Almost Flimsy photo. When it's quilted and bound and the weather is better for photos, I'll get the picture of the finished quilt.

Piecing the blocks by hand was very enjoyable. I'd work for about two hours each evening in front of whatever we were watching on Netflix, Prime, or plain old television (but the latter only on Sunday nights). I've never made a quilt like this one -- the colors aren't my colors and the somewhat sinister theme certainly isn't me. But, there you have it; sometimes a quilt knows better than the quilter what should be happening. 

Assembling the blocks was challenging. Each block has four side mid-points where there are lots of layers of fabric. If I'd had my wits about me when I was piecing them, I'd have pressed the seams open. The fiddly assembly process required lots of pins. But it's done!


Before Wensleydale was complete, however, Hot Spot erupted! Here you can see her trying to chase Wensleydale off the design wall! 

Hot Spot is made from Kristy Daum's Mazed, a pattern that I often turn to when I don't know what else to do. It is great for using up scraps to make a baby quilt. Or two.

Hot Spot was impatient. I machine pieced her blocks very quickly during the days and put them in a pile. Assembly went like wild fire. 

She's a finished flimsy and off the wall already because something else has jumped on. No photos of that, yet. Waiting to see how the idea that Julie shared is going to pan out. It involves scraps. Little bitty ones. In my regular cool colors. 

Ordinarily, with the Olympics close at hand, I'd have a stack of machined quilts ready for me to bind. Not this time. I need to get out to get some wide backings, so the binding season will prolly be early spring this year.

Oh, and here's Hot Spot as a completed 60 x 60 flimsy!



Comments

Nann said…
I have loved every step of Wensleydale. The combination of horizonal rectangular blocks and the diamonds is visually intriguing and your fussy-cut novelty prints add humor. The bright-n-white Mazed blocks are a sunny note for these winter days and a great scrap-user.
Janet O. said…
My goodness, Nancy. It appears that space on your design wall is in high demand!. Wensleydale is a great finish!
Hot Spot (great name, BTW) is such a contrast in style and color--and I really like it.
Can't wait to see what appears next.
I wonder what handwork will keep you occupied during the Olympics?
Vicki W said…
Wensleydale is awesome! The maze quilt is really cute too.
Barbara Anne said…
Wensleydale is a wonderful quilt and I can see why pressing those seams open would have been a good idea. You'll know when you make the next quilt with similar blocks.

Hot Spot is bright and beautiful. What a fun way to keep busy.

It seems my sewing mojo arrived back home today and am I ever glad!

Hugs!
Quiltdivajulie said…
Good to read your post today - your flimsy finishes are gorgeous in very different ways. Congratulations!