Molli Who? and the What?

 

The only time I've ever participated in a quilt-along was many years ago when Lori ran a mini-quilt quilt-along and I still had some Civil War fabrics. I enjoyed doing it, but never felt inspired to do it again. 

Until this winter. Someone I admire from my guild posted that she was going to participate in a quilt-along run by an individual (or individuals?) with the improbable name(s) of Molli Sparkles and the Glitterati. Friends, I had to investigate! Molli, it turns out, is an absolute delight to read; exactly who or what the Glitterati are, I'm in the dark, but am inclined to think I would like them.

Molli's quilt-along is an unusual one, and it is run through a Facebook group. The goal is to use fabric that we've been saving, just cut into it! He proposes blocks for us to make (after giving a couple of hints for us to think about) and freely admits that we'll be on our own when it comes to putting things together. No prescribing how many blocks of each kind to make -- so open-ended! Like nothing I've done before, but, y'know, I'm starting to get used to that!


My first few months of this year were consumed by Blur and also by a slew of family events (both good and terrible); once Blur was together (and now I am thinking about taking out one block are replacing it with another before it goes off to the machinist at the end of April) and things settled down extended-family wise, I decided it was time to jump in. I've been following the FB group and loving what people were posting and was especially eager to attempt the first block (there are about five different blocks proposed at present).

So here we have two versions of the first block. It is funny, I think, to see how different the block appears when it is on point. I like both of them. A lot.

The next couple of blocks that came along were mildly interesting, but nothing unusual like this first one. I imagine I'll get back to them at some point. There also was the suggestion of making a gaggle of flying geese and I think that will be what I'll do next. The most recent block reveal happened in the past week and I was fascinated by it. I'd always been fond of Card Trick and this one is called Super Card Trick.

I spent far more time than I care to admit making this astonishing block. It is paper-pieced, which isn't a problem for me ordinarily. Figuring out the placement of the eight different fabrics, however, had me stymied for quite a while. I am pleased with how it turned out, and while I printed enough foundation papers to make two blocks, I think that this will be it for now.


Comments

Nann said…
You find the greatest FB groups...yes, Molli is a hoot. And Just Cut It Up is something we all need to do more. (And I am with my current project.)
Quiltdivajulie said…
The Glitterati are his fans/followers/students/etc. I have read his blog off and on for years - the block designs are linked there (for those of us not on FB). I like what you are doing with yours!!! (and I'm saving off the crystal star and scrappy churn dash designs for someday)
Mystic Quilter said…
Love your colours in these blocks! I have seen this QAL mentioned on Instagram and would have loved to take part if only I had two working hands, but I may still keep this in mind for a future project.