Cheering, Near Philadelphia


 












I've never watched a football game on television. In fact, somehow I discovered that the best time to do grocery shopping is on Sunday afternoon when the Eagles are playing.

But baseball is a little different. I actually understand how the game is played and remember proudly announcing to friends, "Clay Dalrymple lives across the street from me." (That was true. I was the family's babysitter.) About every three or four years I'll have a season where I watch many of the games. This was not one of those years. But I did watch the play-offs and parts of the first two games of the Series. 

What I do enjoy is seeing the enthusiasm of Philly fans. We previously lived next-door to a family that had a crowd of teenagers who would run out into the street, whooping and cheering after any kind of a major televised win. I kind of miss The Joyces in our current more sedate neighborhood. 

I don't know the family that lives three blocks down our street and put up this elaborate seasonal display. But I know I have to share it. (Photo courtesy of Himself)

Go Phillies!

Comments

Vicki W said…
It's a great year for Philadelphia sports. I root for the Eagles from Virginia.
Barbara Anne said…
What a hoot! Creativity comes in all sorts of forms, doesn't it?!

The family across the street from us when I was in HS had a son my age, who usually played Taps on his trumpet from his open window at sunset.

As I read once, "We choose our homes, but God chooses our neighbors."

Hugs!
OTquilter said…
My father courted my mother in the 1930's and took her to double headers at Connie Mack Stadium. She learned the game and they were both big Phillies Fans. He died suddenly in the spring of 1980, so he didn't live to see the Phils win their first World Series. She died suddenly in early 2008, and of course, the Phils went all the way again. My sister and I are keeping a close watch on all our family members this year, but we'dd still like to see the Phillies go all the way!
Judi said…
I love to watch football and, of course, my heart is in Philly with the Eagles.

It's been a lean few years, but they are back with a vengeance this year and I am thrilled!

Fly Eagles, Fly!