Hop Until We Drop

Some genius near Philadelphia came up with the idea that seven shops should have a nice little October Shop Hop. It's a mystery theme: One pays to enter and receives a tote bag and a passport. Then over the next generous week, one visits each of the seven shops, picks up two fat quarters at each and gets one's passport stamped. At the final stop, one receives a pattern book (that's where the mystery comes in) with the choice of two patterns. The rest is regular shop hop stuff, i.e., make the quilt, be the first, enter the raffle, yada yada.

Well, she thought, isn't this the most brilliant thing for these troubled times? So yesterday, four of us embarked on a glorious day, visiting five of the seven stops, oohing and aahing amidst the bolts, philosophizing and laughing in the car, treating the driver to a delicious lunch (onion rings de rigueur), and almost literally shopping until dropping.

Four of the five places we visited were brand new to me and there was something to like about each: Cut & Sew PHL, Byrne Sewing, Needles & Bolts, Stitch Central, Steve's, Seamless Sewing Arts, and Pottstown Sewing. I still have two shops to visit!

Seamless Sewing Arts was particularly captivating; they are very small, have made clever use of their space, and have fabric we'd never seen anywhere else. That's where I saw the quilt pictured above. It is just stunning and I had to have a photo. They had kits to duplicate it and somehow I resisted because I already have enough Octoberish quilts.

Around four o'clock, I got home with my spoils, took a lengthy, restorative nap, awoke, and realized I didn't have to use orange and black fabrics to make this quilt. I promptly ordered the pattern from a Guild friend, and am now off to sit by my mailbox.

Oh, yes, if you are also enchanted by this pattern, here's where to get it: Janet and Sandy's Shop or, of course, Seamless Sewing Arts!



 

Comments

Nann said…
Fabric + friendship = a great day. I take it that that's the sample quilt in one of the shops? Intriguing design.
Barbara Anne said…
What a glorious way to spend a day with fellow quilters - food, fabric, and like-minded friends. I'd have had a nap when I got home, too!

Years, no decades ago, I was at a TX quilt show and stepped aside out of the crush of people at the vendors line-up and found myself in a nook with lovely quilts on 3 sides to look at, all made by the same quilter. One was made with red/white/blue fabrics, one of autumn fabrics, and the 3rd was clearly Christmas. Only after looking at each quilt for a few minutes did I see all 3 quilts were made from the same pattern, but with lights/mediums/darks swapped around. Yes, you can use whatever fabrics in whatever placements you want to if you like the pattern a lot. Hope your postman delivers your new pattern quickly!

It's forecast to be 38*F here tonight. Yikes!

Hugs!
Denise Martin said…
Nancy, thanks so much for mentioning Seamless Sewing Arts in your blog post. We are thrilled to be part of the first annual Philly area Shop Hop. We're meeting so many interesting quilters. Their enthusiasm for our craft is inspiring, and their fabric choices are always educational!! Shout out to Cybele and Danielle at Stitch Central for organizing the Hop and to the owners and staff of the participating shops. There are still several days left so, I urge your readers to buy a passport, thread their machines and get those wonderful FQs! Oh, and the quilt you pictured is my Halloween interpretation of Lo & Behold Stitchery's pattern Nightingale. I call the quilt Poison Pill after some of the great Tim Holtz fabrics in it. Thanks again, Nancy. Denise