LFL Charter #148261

The women in the Circle I belong to at my church have been together for forty years. In that time we've developed a reputation as Movers and Shakers. It was through our influence that about twenty-five years ago the church realized its need to be more accessible and put on an addition with an elevator and a handicapped restroom.

Last winter, one of our newer members led an extremely lively discussion on book deserts. (It must be noted at this point that among the Circle's members there are no fewer than two actual librarians.) The discussion led to the development of a couple of projects. One is still in the organizing stage. 

We also decided that we wanted to sponsor a Little Free Library on the grounds of the county's food pantry situated about ten minutes up the road from Near Philadelphia. The location is the large campus of a former Roman Catholic Church / school / convent / rectory, now owned by a thriving Baptist congregation.

I knew there is a retired librarian who likes wood working in our congregation, so I approached him and he readily agreed. At our most recent meeting, each member brought in a book to contribute. I shamelessly approached grandchildren and nieces/nephews and neighbors -- surely they'd have books they'd outgrown. 

They did.

My very wise husband, suspecting a request would be forthcoming, offered to do the installation and the library's builder kindly offered to help. Today was the day. When they were finished, I had the joy of stocking our Little Free Library. 


 

Comments

Quiltdivajulie said…
Elder son and his wife are the proud owners/caretakers of the first LFL in Memphis. The original one has worn out and was replaced just this week with an identical unit (but in pristine condition). They get a lot of foot traffic and the LFL is rarely empty. I hope yours is as successful!
Nann said…
This retired librarian and churchwoman thinks that is a fine outreach!
Dee W said…
I love the LFL concept. We have one in our small town. I read on one of the fb pages the other day that one got emptied and refilled with bibles!
Mystic Quilter said…
Just how does a Little Free Library work - sounds like a silly question but I've noticed them on quite a few quilt blogs, I had never heard of them before and as far as I know this is something not seen in New Zealand.
Barbara Anne said…
Brilliant! I'll have to call around to find a place I can donate books besides giving them to the Friends of the Library.

Handy husbands are often an unheralded blessing, aren't they?

Hugs!
Anonymous said…
LFLs are great - I always check for them when traveling, and have a box of outgrown books in the car for random LFL encounters!

Ceci