Advent is Soon Upon Us

I spent some time today at the food pantry, like I do every Thursday. There was a lot of talk about how close it is to Thanksgiving and a few people dropped by to give us certificates for turkeys or to inquire about providing special help for Thanksgiving. We're giving out a list of items for a Thanksgiving dinner and asking donors to fill a bag with everything on the list. Then the bags will be given to the clients along with a turkey as an add-on to what they are regularly able to pick up. It's a good plan.

Soon we'll be hearing about Reverse Advent Calendars, pictured to the left. Basically, it's a good idea, but the person who developed this one pretty obviously doesn't have a lot of experience with food pantries. There are two things I notice: 

First, on the last days of the calendar, canned vegetables are suggested. My personal feeling is that canned carrots should not exist and please don't get me started on canned mixed vegetables. I don't believe I could give people food that I wouldn't serve my own family. 

Second, "on Christmas Eve donate the contents to a food bank." The food bank is almost certainly NOT going to be open to receive donations on Christmas Eve. And if they were, getting the donations processed would be a challenge.

Third (oh, I said two things): Everything suggested on this list is an item that a person can purchase at the grocery store using their SNAP (Food Stamps) benefits, if they need to. Those benefits can only be used for food. Pantries are crying for toilet paper, diapers, feminine products, laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid, cleaning products, toothpaste -- these things are expensive, and people on assistance must use real money to buy them at the store.

My suggestion would be, if you want to do a "food a day during Advent," would be not to wait until December 1 but to start on the day after Thanksgiving. Or, what the heck, start now! Twenty-four days would finish the box before Christmas Eve. And you could get it to the food bank before your life gets crazy-busy.  If you need a guideline, there's a different Reverse Advent Calendar pictured below. It contains some better, healthier choices for foods, and also lists some of those hard-to-acquire non-food items. And there are no canned carrots.



Comments

Annie said…
Thanks for posting the second list and explaining why it is so much more appropriate and useful! I’m going to send a link to my church so that it can be put in our weekly news. Perhaps other readers might do the same with groups with whom they are associated.
Mrs. Goodneedle said…
Yes! Preach it!! Thank you, Nancy.
Quiltdivajulie said…
Having had a family member deal with the SNAP program, your post (especially that second graphic) is so timely and important! Once again, kudos to you for being who you are!!!
You made some excellent points!! I want everyone to read this…..very insightful. Thank you!
But I have to say, I have an adult son who strongly prefers canned green beans. Just haven’t been able to win him over to fresh. Lol
Lori said…
Thank you Nancy! So many people do not realize the SNAP program doesn't include these necessities! That is so ridiculous! I'm volunteering locally and these items are a big need. I'm learning a lot!

Canned veggies can be dropped in soup and are shelf stable! I think there is a place for them on the shelf. (not mine though lol)
Nann said…
Our woman's club has done the first advent calendar list -- though we've collected everything at our December meeting (first Tuesday) and delivered that week when our two food pantries are open. But you are so right: the pantry is a good place to distribute personal hygiene items and I appreciate the list you provided. (We've also had Undie Sunday at church -- bring an unopened/new package of underwear in your size/gender.)
julieQ said…
I have shared with my nurse friends and we are collecting the non food items that you mentioned. Great idea, Nancy!