Autumn 2022 Retreat

I spent two of the past three days at my guild's annual autumn retreat. As usual, we were at a big hotel in Valley Forge. We've been there so many times that we quickly feel right at home.

This year I didn't stay overnight. Valley Forge isn't very far at all from where I live, so commuting isn't a problem unless one is terrified of the traffic pattern at the Valley Forge exit and mall (raises hand). Joe took me and my paraphernalia to the hotel on Friday morning and retrieved me and it late on Saturday afternoon. My friend Bobbi gave me a ride home on Friday and back to the hotel on Saturday morning. I didn't return on Sunday because we had orchestra tickets for the matinee performance.

Our guild's executive board did a masterful job of providing fun activities that were interspersed with the hours of sewing: Bingo, musical chairs, quilter's trivia, etc.
 

My three tablemates were lovely women that I've sat with in the past and it was good to catch up with them. I worked on the pineapple blocks; they've kind of become my go-to retreat project. I haven't done a final calculation of how many I'll need for a queen quilt; I'm afraid that would be too intimidating! I'll just keep making them and one day . . . .

One of the best parts of the retreat was going around the room and visiting all of the participants (there were close to fifty!). It was great to see all of the different projects. I felt a bit like Paul Hollywood as I'd begin, "Tell me about your project," and they would all begin, "I'm making . . . ." They were all show-stoppers.

Comments

Quiltdivajulie said…
I have never made a pineapple block - they've always intimidated me (even the liberated ones. KUDOS to you - they're beautiful!
Anonymous said…
I’ve never made a pineapple block, either, though I love them. I especially like the ways yours are turning out.
Barbara Anne said…
What a joy it is to retreat from your normal surroundings to sew and chat to your heart's content with like-minded wonderfully kind friends! Love your Pineapple blocks and take my hat off to your bravery and skill in making them! This quilt will be amazing in due time. :)

Hugs!
Mystic Quilter said…
Beautiful blocks, I'd love to know the width of the strips. I made a pineapple quilt many, any years ago and enjoyed the process very much.
Quayquilter said…
Fantastically effective, Nancy. Also quite painstaking so good to do in company to take the edge off.
Mrs. Goodneedle said…
Beautiful; as always. There's something just so smart looking about black and white; well done. I'm like you, I don't count how much more there is to do, just keep plugging along! I'm glad that you had fun on retreat with your buddies, always such a special time.
Janet O. said…
I really like the secondary design you are getting with your use of the black, grey and white--with dabs of red. Very effective.
Sounds like you had the best of both worlds--attending retreat, but sleeping in your own bed at night. Perfect.
Nann said…
Great fabric assortment for your pineapple blocks. By working on them only at the retreat you don't have to scramble to come up with something. (And even better, you don't find yourself in the middle of the weekend thinking that the "something" isn't a project you especially like, with the resulting feeling of discontent/wasted time for the rest of the time.) And you'll be able to name this something like Pineapple Forge, or Pineapple Valley.