Lancaster Diamond: Final (I Think) Update


I had entered Christmas in Lancaster to the Mancuso Show in Oaks, Pennsylvania, and it was accepted. Yesterday, Marsha, Bonnie and I drove out to the show and I visited my quilt. 

I felt proud to see it hanging there among a host of magnificent quilts. I loved hearing what my Guild mates had to say about it. Someone had thoughtfully sent me a photo of it the day before, so I put it on Facebook as my current profile picture, and again, the compliments made me feel proud and happy. Clicking on the photo should make it bigger so you can see details in the diamonds.

As usual, there were many, many "art" quilts, masterpieces that involved thread-painting, photograph embellishing, and other techniques I can't begin to understand or even name. But there were a fair number of what I think of as "regular" quilts and the workmanship on them was stellar.

I spent a lot of time studying and admiring the quilt that had rightfully won "Best of Show," "What Do You Think About My Blancket Tweetment?" by Christine Wickert of Penfield, New York. Each block is a tiny masterpiece; the quilt is made entirely of silk fabric; it is hand-pieced, hand-appliqued, and hand-quilted. I took particular note of the diamonds in the border; so many designers are using diamonds lately -- for once I'm abreast of a trend! 

The outside of the quilt is bordered by intricate, minuscule critter-and-posy  appliqués on wide and narrow tongues. I could have looked at it for a much longer time; fortunately, I have this photograph. I dare you to "click and enlarge."

Long-time readers may recall that for me, applique means hand-buttonhole-stitch and that is that. I couldn't imagine attempting anything like what Christine Wickert had done.

When Bonnie and Marsha and I go to the show, we don't stay together. We each wander our separate ways with an agreed-upon meeting time and place vis-a-vis lunch. 

My sister found her way to Christmas In Lancaster and while she was standing there with it, another woman came beside her and began to admire my work. "My sister made it," Bonnie told her and the woman went on to say that she'd known of the Lancaster Diamond and that there was a book about making it and, by the way, her name was Christine and she'd won Best In Show!

A little bit later, the three of us met up and Bonnie's daughter obliged us as photographer.

L to R, Bonnie, Christine, Nancy.

Comments

Karla said…
What an honor to have your quilt displayed! I love your quilts and look at them in amazement. What an honor to have your quilt admired and acknowledged by the creator of Best in Show! Her quilt is quite stunning. The photograph at the end brings me joy. That one is in the must frame category! Love ya!
Anonymous said…
I do love Best in Show, unique, looks like a cross stitched sampler! And
I LOVE yours! It looks like the stained glass windows of Sainte
Chapelle in Paris!
Quayquilter said…
How wonderful to see your quilt holding its own in such an august setting. Be very very proud of the persistence needed to finish as well as the expertise.
Quiltdivajulie said…
Your LD quilt is fantastic - and kudos for having it in the show where it looks perfectly at home. And that photo of the three of you is priceless - for so many reasons. Awesome post and even better stories.
Barbara Anne said…
What glorious quilts, both yours and Christine's, and how extra wonderful to have them accepted in the show and to go see the quilts there. Sweet treat to meet Christine, too.

Hugs!
Anonymous said…
I was wondering how you were doing on your Lancaster Diamond. And then there it is. You did a wonderful job. I can't imagine the time it takes to make both your quilt and the Best in Show. Congrats on getting accepted. Thanks for sharing.
OTquilter said…
I was there yesterday, too, selling tickets for my gulf’s raffle quilt. (We were in the back corner, the Brownstone Quilters guild.) I’m so sorry that I missed you! And now I’ve had a chance to look at the program, I see your quilt listed and I missed that, too! If only…. Christine Wickert’s quilts are just exquisite, aren’t they?
Nann said…
The BIS quilt is a beauty. But I really, really like your Lancaster version.
What fun to meet the BIS-maker and to see your sister, too.