Bessie: Piece of Pie



This block, the one I'm calling the pie block, called for assorted pieces of pie on a low volume background, surrounded by grays. I loved it.

But, y'know, I had to make a small change. Instead of four different pieces in each pie, I chose to use paired pieces. And I like them. And I used the same gray throughout.

I have sufficient low volumes that I didn't need to repeat any of the ones I'd used in the nine-patch blocks.

These blocks were all pieced by hand and took a while.  My skill at appliqué, oddly enough, is limited to circles! At one point I had an unquenchable urge to make Dresden plates and was stymied about the circles because I could only do blanket stitch appliqué. Google was my friend and now  I use the freezer paper technique and have always been pleased with the results. This tool is fabulous for appliquéing circles because of the quarter-inch increments. (Re-reading the tutorial, I'm thinking that now I could actually appliqué other shapes beyond circles. Duh.)

Anyway, I really enjoyed the slow process of baking making these pies. Once they were done, I returned to the cross blocks because I'd decided how to place the grays.

Please Note: A couple of people (Carol, I'm talking to you!) have lamented that Treehouse Textiles is in Australia and want to know if there's a place in the U.S. where the products can be purchased. I've no idea. But I tell you this: Emma, the owner, takes her customers very seriously. Delivery is very quick and, really, not that expensive, considering how wonderful the project is and how long it will take to make! Any problems are dealt with immediately. My parcel was very well packed and protected. I won't hesitate to think about buying there again.




Comments

Nann said…
You ordered the pattern only and are using your stash (with supplemental purchases as needed ), aren't you? Tweaking the fabric placement makes it your own.
Barbara Anne said…
Love your bravery in making this complex quilt and love the variety of whimsical fabrics you chose for the few blocks we've been shown. More blocks, please! Did you keep the diagonal bolder fabrics in the 9 patches that make the diamond pattern (red check in the pictured quilt) around the quilt's center?

How wonderful that you're having new ideas about applique for shapes other than a circle.

Hugs!
Hubblebird said…
I like the effect of the paired pies better than the original. This will be a gorgeous quilt.
Quiltdivajulie said…
I second the info on Treehouse Textiles - the international aspect should not stop anyone from ordering their products!
Juliann in WA said…
I ordered from Treehouse and was amazed at the fast shipping time. And I the fabrics are so fun and not pieces I have seen locally. I have also ordered some of the PDF patterns from Treehouse.