Bessie: To The Nines

I was so eager to begin. The book gives instructions from the center of the quilt out and I pondered that for a while. But I was intrigued by the arrangement of those nine-patches that form a kind of border around a kind of medallion center. And there were more nine-patches than anything else. So, even though they were the easiest blocks and shouldn't take a long time, that's where I began.

I loved the gingham that the designer, Emma, used and so I used the red. As I've worked on other blocks, I'm not sure that those red blocks are going to stay. They might be too bright. Or maybe they won't. Emma shows most of the nine-patches as having only three red spots; the four patches at the corners each have five. So that's what I made. Again, I'm not sure that I want those four patches that way; I just might remake them having just three red spots. Something tells me I'll like it better that way. We'll see.

I have a few an abundance of low volume fabrics, so getting sufficient variety of them was no problem whatsoever.



Comments

Quiltdivajulie said…
What if you dunk that pretty red/white in a gentle tea bath so it isn't quite so bright? Might be more vintage-y looking. Or see if you can find a more burgundy toned red/white. I love the design and am happy to watch you bring it to life.