Red Queen Days and Nights

My fondness for all things Alice is well-known.  My sister and I are famous for dropping Alice lines here and there ("Clean cup!  Move down!") and Honna and I had such a good time at the movie.

There's another bit from the Alice story that has long been a piece of my life.

Carroll writes:


"'Well, in our country,' said Alice, still panting a little, 'you'd generally get to somewhere else -- if you ran very fast for a long time as we've been doing.' 'A slow sort of country!' said the Queen. 'Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you wanted to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!'"
I'm not one to do things in a hurry, nor am I much of a runner.  But sometimes the calendar gets over-fill and obligations pile up along with the laundry, and I don't seem to have time to do things I want to do, I'm so caught up in what I need to do.  And somehow all of that makes me think of the Red Queen.
This is one of those times.  Been out at night more frequently than usual.  Been shopping and wrapping and thinking about decorating.  Been sewing just a little.  But not been blogging.  Because I'm hanging out with the Red Queen.  I believe she's scheduled to leave this weekend.  If not, I'm evicting her!



Comments

Pat said…
Ah, but the pictures you have shared whilest running have been most delightful. Ladybugs, sock monkeys and lickable Nates.
Janet O. said…
Oh, this is so timely. Thanks for the smiles and food for thought.
Michele Bilyeu said…
Love Alice! One of the first 'big' books I read by myself as a young child. I hope you saw the 'Alice Quilts' from my Sisters Quilt Show photos from last summer. Awesome quilts!!!! Here's the link, just in case you missed that post ;) http://www.with-heart-and-hands.com/2011/07/sisters-outoodr-quilt-show-alice-quilts.html
suzan almond said…
The red queen is catching up with me - fast ! From tomorrow it's all systems go - sewing ? what's THAT ? All the best to you.
Salem Stitcher said…
I'm ready to run her out of the South too, my friend.
Tanya said…
I was always a big fan of Alice too. I can remember my father reading Alice Through the Looking Glass and thinking how Lewis Carroll had said something deep with that quote. I'm not doing well at keeping up either.