Monthly Obligations and an Interesting Development

It has been a busy afternoon here.  I looked at my list of monthly birthday blocks and discovered that for March Carolyn wanted six inch CWs, anything but 9-patch blocks.  I had a lot of fun making four for her; once I got started, I really didn't want to stop.  I still need to make one more March block for Julie and I'm hoping to do that this evening yet.

Realizing that April is going to be a bit busy for me, I looked ahead to find that Jo wanted a 9 inch Churn Dash of CW on shirting and that was quickly and easily accomplished.  As soon as I have Julie's block finished, I'm off to the Mailboxes place to send them to their rightful owners.

Something has happened to me that has not happened before.  Someone has become smitten with Melanie Wilkes and has asked to buy her.  I've never sold a quilt and  never wanted to because I thought that somehow that would take the joy out of the craft, and this person knows that.  But she thought she'd ask anyway.  I told her "no" right away.  And then thought about it.  She's a wonderful woman who has meant quite a bit to me for nearly forty years.  She's given to me in many ways and has never asked anything in return.  I've already got another CW quilt in my mind and a person only has so many beds (we have two).  So I wrote and told her I'd changed my mind.

Since this is a new experience, I didn't know how to price Mellie.  I knew she wasn't going to be cheap (like Emmie Slattery) because she's so big (queen size).  I added up the cost of the batting, the backing and binding fabrics, and guestimated the cost of the fabric in the top; they I added on what the machine quilter had charged me.  I came up with $260.  I asked my friend if she could go $350.  For any of you who have sold quilts, I'd love to hear from you whether my price sounds right.  Or is it too high?

Today is the last day of February.  Thanks be to God!


Comments

you are a good friend - sounds a bit low to me but for a friend i would say it sounds ok
Anya said…
I wouldn't say it's too high at all. We quilters know how much time goes into making something as lovely as Melanie, and I'm certain that (most) good friends of quilters are also knowledgeable about the value. Go for it and congratulations on selling your quilt!
Unknown said…
I think it's too low. I've only sold 3 quilts..2 at sisters and one was a quilt my friend wanted for her husband. All of them were sold for over $500.00 and none were queen size but double bed size. Even if it is a good friend they should know how much work you put into it.Congratulations on your first sale!!!
Pati said…
Nancy,

Here's a thought for you. If she has been a good friend for 40 years and has given and never asked for anything in return, why don't you gift her the quilt?

Just my humble opinion,
Pati
antique quilter said…
sounds like your friend is getting a great deal!
most people i know double the cost of the expenses to come up with a price for the quilt.
WE never get what our time is worth making a quilt unless your famous!
Kathie
Melinda said…
Since she is a friend, I think the price is fair. If you were just selling it to someone you don't know, I think the price is too low but for a friend, it is fine.
Pat said…
How exciting and flattering to have made a quilt so wonderful that someone wants to purchase it!

I think you need to get it at least what you put into it money-wise, but beyond that it's up to you. The most difficult thing in the world is to try to put a price on your time, especially when there is such a strong element of friendship involved. One thing you really need to however, is make sure you've got a good, detailed label on the quilt. And because Melanie has such a neat backgroung story, I'd write a little bit of a "provenance" document as well to go along with her. That way, when the Keno brothers' grandkids get this quilt on Antiques Road Show......
Judi said…
I think you have priced it right, Nancy. You have estimated the total cost of materials and quilting and are in essence gifting her your time - which is, of course, the most precious thing to give her.

She must really love it to ask you for it, and that should be a thrill for you.

Trouble is, that will leave you without your own Melanie, and you have been so excited by her. I'd offer to make you a few 9-patches to get you started again, but I only have indigo and caramel CWs!

My WV is arsuphot - is it only because I'm British that it sounds like a swear word?
Anonymous said…
That's definitely NOT too high! Our craft is severely under rated. Congratulations on your first sale.
Moira said…
You're definately a good friend....altho I would say the price is a bit low...