Covid-19 Sewing (7)

We are going into our seventh week of self-isolation, social distancing, fear and boredom (I think I need an Oxford comma there -- something new to obsess about today). And it looks as though all of this will be status quo for the foreseeable future.

Some of us are handling this better than others are. We have good days and better days, bad and worse, too.

The next season's rummage (or jumble, a lovely British synonym) sales will contain abundance beyond imagining, due to all of the deep cleaning and purging.

I continue my Steam Punk construction, and as of this photo, there are only five more to be made! They are all cut and marked and in a little basket by my chair so that I can work on them in the evenings when we watch Netflix or Prime or PBS.

Lattice and cornerstone fabric has been selected, ordered, and received, so by the end of this week, I'll be starting the laborious task of setting these blocks. On-point sets with lattice are tedious for me. I prefer to use cornerstones; if I don't, I have a great deal of difficulty keeping everything aligned accurately.

I really have enjoyed making these blocks! I didn't think I would take to hand-piecing the way I have. Somewhere I have a set of templates for Improved Nine Patch and it is possible that I'll begin that as a TV project soon.

And I haven't forgotten The Aunts! The pieced blocks have been finished for a few weeks and one of the appliqué blocks is complete. All of the others are cut and bonded and in a box together, waiting their turn to sit by the handwork chair.

Of course, I've been making masks, like everyone else. And this weekend I began a Secret Project, more about which eventually

Comments

Janet O. said…
Ha Ha, I remember a debate at my Mom's table once about the Oxford comma. We were playing Scrabble and my Mom (the stickler for proper English) and my niece--a writer--were discussing their feelings on the subject. I can't recall now who was for or against, just that they didn't agree.
You have really been going to town on those Steampunk blocks. I am impressed! It is looking incredible.
Improved 9-patch has always appealed to me. I will look forward to seeing if you decide to work on one of those.
Oh, the mask making--156 and counting. I'm not getting much else done, other than helping Mom, cooking and cleaning (no Oxford comma).
Hmm, a secret project. We will just be left hanging, I guess, until you enlighten us.
Janet O. said…
I was going to add that I love that first photo. As a chorister I can handle leading all but that last one. I've NEVER seen 11 beats per measure before!
Quiltdivajulie said…
These are just so wonderful to look at and explore. Case counts continue to climb here - no significant changes permitted until we have declines for a 14-day period. Glad we are retired and like being at home ... although we are missing our weekly family dinners. Face Time is fun but real hugs are better than virtual ones.
Barbara Anne said…
Steam Punk is a glorious array of blocks and I wish you well on putting them together with the lattices and cornerstones. I have a chart for cutting setting and corner triangles for on-point quilts and can email it to you if you'd like to have it.

I've been happily busy with the Laundry Basket Mystery quilt-along that ended 2-3 weeks ago. My other responsibilities and permanent fatigue slow me down but I'm working on block 8 of 15. I won't be making the four block 15 blocks intended for the quilt center but will make a 12" block instead. Why not? It's all too much fun. :)

Enjoy making those last 4 Steam Punk blocks and getting back to the Aunt's applique.

Hugs!
Nann said…
I've enjoyed reading about this quilt since you first posted the pattern. Sashing and cornerstones will give each block some breathing room. Every time I see your dark gray design wall I think it's the setting fabric!