Guild Retreat: Spring 2021

Philadelphia Modern Quilt Guild has been so creative in finding ways to be together when we can't be together!

Our monthly meetings are held via Zoom and while the downside of this is more screen time, the up side is that our program chair has been able to contract presenters from as far away as Australia and London. Some of these famous quilters have even held workshops for the Guild, and participants have had only marvelous things to say. From time to time, scheduled on-line sewing days have been arranged, mostly so we don't miss each other too much.

Last spring we all received care packages from the Guild -- there were fabrics, seeds to plant in a little planter, and a pincushion project to make, among other things. 

I've been mightily impressed by the ingenuity of the Executive Board during this time. But I hadn't seen nothin' yet.

This past weekend was the spring retreat -- all virtual. and cost-free. For two days, there were Zoomed events and classes from early in the morning until well after dinner. Some members attended "virtually" everything; I had family obligations on Sunday, and on Saturday I attended three classes. Although I did not participate actively in the first one, I learned enough that when I'm ready to make a Lone Star, I'll be able to. How to make a Y-seam without swearing is a skill that has long eluded me; not any more. And finally, the interleaving expert in our group taught us how to go from the picture at the top of my post to the picture at the bottom. 

I'm thankful to everyone who had a hand in this terrific event.



 

Comments

Nemo said…
Oh wow, that is one cool technique! It looks so complicated and stunning!
Janet O. said…
Y-seams without swearing? Life changing!
I am blown away by what that unit in your top photo became.
Anonymous said…
That really sounds like an interesting guild. Kudos to them for finding ways to continuing the fellowship. Thanks for sharing.
Barbara Anne said…
What creative and wonderful ways to keep the guild together during covid. How did your 4 patch of HSTs become such a complicated looking block???? Amazing!

Hugs!
Mrs. Goodneedle said…
That is very cool, what a motivated group; the creativity is inspiring!