And When One Eavesdrops . . .

 

I've had a lousy couple of weeks with misfortunes almost too numerous to count including -- but not limited to -- the death of a long-time and very dear friend, an explosion in my oven during self-clean resulting in broken glass all over the kitchen floor, having my Ebay account hacked resulting in hours spent with the police department and the bank and ghastly frustration in being unable to reach a live person to speak to at Ebay; there have been ongoing problems with my new sewing machine and today I learned that a machine quilting class I'd signed up for isn't suitable for anyone but a long-armer and it's too late to cancel and get a refund. I could go on but it's too depressing.

So when Himself suggested we go out to the pub for supper tonight, I said I wasn't very good company but gratefully accepted.

The sixty-ish couple in the booth behind us spoke a little more loudly than they needed to, and they seemed to be negotiating some sort of a way to move forward. Our ears perked up when she asked him, "Who are the least weird guys we know?"

We grabbed that question for ourselves and started sorting through our acquaintances, rapidly discarding the guy who cites dates and publications when trying to make a point, the fellow who wanders the neighborhood as a self-appointed inspector of any home improvement projects, and a handful of others before settling on a man from church who makes things happen and another guy we've known for forty years. And then we remembered that the latter once persuaded many of the guys in the crowd to don tutus and tights for a performance of Swine Lake and at someone's anniversary celebration for no discernible reason commandeered two of the other husbands and had them dress up in grass skirts and coconuts (photo from the internet, not that particular party). We acknowledged that most of the guys we know are weird. And that's okay. 

We took a sip of our respective beverages and tuned back in to the couple behind us just in time to hear her say, "Well, I think you need to pursue your happiness and I'd like to own a kayak."

All righty, then.

Comments

Barbara Anne said…
So sorry for all of the upheavals and sorrows that have come your way recently. Life is like that sometimes. Be thankful for the life of your friend and be glad you were part of her life.

I, too, have had a couple of weeks of upset over things that befell three friends and it seems you just have to put one foot in front of the other and carry on, praying for one and all as you go. One of these friends has gotten the news that her heart has very limited circulation due to her gene pool (her brothers died due to this problem) and she could be gone at any minute as there is little the doctors can do for her. I, too, am trying to be thankful for our nearly 20 years of friendship and saying the things she needs to hear when I talk to her.

Perhaps this is normal for our stage of life, but it's very unwelcome.

Big hugs!
Karla said…
I am sorry you are having a tough time of it lately. Your eavesdropping had me laugh. Last night Betsy and I went to Paprica, a Turkish restaurant on Samson, before we headed to the Walnut for Always, Patsy Cline. We were seated about 8” tops from the table next to us, with 2 gentlemen and 1 woman. The one man, with cool glasses, said something. I responded to him like I was sitting with him. He loved it. Every so often we interjected each other’s conversation. It was fun and as Betsy said it was so ‘Karla’. When they were leaving they said goodnight, it was a pleasure talking and the man with the glasses said “well, have a good rest of your life”. Hugs my friend.
Anonymous said…
Hopefully the night out with your hubby will be a start to turning upheavals around. Thanks for sharing, providing a great topic for conversation of weird acquaintances.
Janet O. said…
Wow, Nancy, it sure sounds as though you have been on the receiving end of challenge after challenge. Sorry you have had so many difficult things to overcome.
I wouldn't call it eavesdropping when they were talking too loudly in the first place. ;) But I will concur that unintended overhearing can lead to some very interesting topics of conversation and speculation.
We are having a church supper and "talent show" (using that term loosely) tonight and I understand that our congregation's leadership have planned to perform a simulated "synchronized swimming" routine for our enjoyment. Can't wait!
Quiltdivajulie said…
Eavesdropping can be dangerous ! Sending hugs aplenty to ease your way through the difficult times.
Nann said…
I hope this week has been better for you, Nancy! It is interesting to hear part of a conversation and spin an entirely new story from it.