MPD

 

Seriously.

And it seems to have impacted my blogging at this point.

My new Bernina 570QE is prolly six weeks old at this point and I've spent a lot of time getting to know her. There's this mysterious rat's-nesting that occurs with the bobbin thread and it has given me fits. I think I have it under control at this point. I've taken my three Guide classes and am of the opinion that the real purpose of the Guide classes is to introduce and tempt the participants with various hideously expensive optional feet!

I'm liking the dual feed feature and have dabbled just a tiny bit in the stitch regulator accessory.

This past week I machine quilted a baby quilt, stitching in the ditch. I learned a few things: (1) Don't use dark thread on the top and light thread in the bobbin. (2) Don't use the lock-the-first-stitch and tie-off-the-last-stitch feature if using dark thread on the top and light thread in the bobbin. (3) Starting in the middle and working my way out really does work.

Oh, and about that MPD:

1.    I've cut out yet a third Halo to be hand-piecing in the evenings.

2.    On my wall are a bunch of spectacular pinwheels from the Bee group; waiting for just a few more and then I'll have a nice quilt for charity.

3.    I recently rediscovered a supply of genuine Japanese FQs in greens and purples and just a couple of golds and have started cutting for a new project.

4.    A 3/4 finished Christmas quilt top needs about another two hours and it will be ready for the machinist.

5.    A Harry Potter YBR needs borders and it, too, can go to the machinist.

6.    I can't remember the particulars, but I'm sure there are a vast supply of projects in progress, maturing nicely while they wait their turns.





Comments

Barbara Anne said…
What an adventure to tackle the learning curve for a new sewing machine! Brave woman!! Those are some good tips you've shared, too, and some good plans for projects nearly finished and some just begun.

I'm having a good tidy up in my wee sewing room as I finished one project and will get back to two more. Methinks I'll have to pull up my big girl panties and try to machine quilt my Ukraine quilt (60"x66") myself as the only group I found to take Ukraine quilt tops cannot be certain it will end up with a Ukrainian refugee and would be going nowhere for many, many months due a lack of long arm machine quilter quilting these donated tops without pay. As my Grandma Hall used to say, "Do pray!"

Wishing you well.
Judi said…
I have a 570QE too - maybe we can swap notes when I see you!
stitchinpenny said…
Make sure you are following the loading instructions for the bobbin exactly. It worked better for me. I have a much older Bernina but found using the pig tail bobbin case for quilting solved the nesting problem when I had it. BTW the Bernina certified repair told me it wouldn't make a difference. If you don't own the pig tail case don't buy it for this but you may know someone that does own one to try. It is generally used to improve tension for embroidery.
Quayquilter said…
I have had one for some time and had issues at first. I have done some quilting with the walking foot but I think I prefer my Janome for this job. I like the alphabet facility for labels definitely the best out of the three (I have a Pfaff too). I usually like to make a stitch book for new machines but I didn't get far with the 570 as it jammed!! Am plucking up courage to try again.
Nann said…
I hope you and your machine are able to get along after this introductory phase. (Let's hope that's all it is.) I've seen UFO / to-do lists far longer than the one you posted but each of us has a certain comfort level. Or more accurately, discomfort level. Have a good week!
Quiltdivajulie said…
I did not enjoy the Bernina how-to classes - the shop where I bought my now-old machine was all about upselling more gadgets and gizmos and not so much about using the machine itself (sigh). AND Absolutely LOVE the graphic you used today - I suffer from MPD as well (different projects to suit different stages of creative energy is how I justify mine).
Janet O. said…
When trying to adapt to a new machine I usually find myself longing for the easy familiarity of the old one. And then one day that new machine is the old one and the cycle repeats.
My mother is the only quilter I ever knew that truly just had one quilt going at a time, and no UFOs in the closet. This apple fell really far from that tree!