Credentials

Himself is gradually working his way through the old James Herriott books. We'd enjoyed the first season of the "All Creatures . . ." re-make on Masterpiece Theatre so much that we subscribed to BritBox for a while to watch the original series, made way back in the 70s. That still wasn't enough, so he started on the books.

This morning he shared with me an excerpt in which the young veterinarian is faced with a difficult case and while he is confident of all of his education, his experience, his credentials, he still is feeling insecure, as though he doesn't know enough. Meanwhile, all manner of nonprofessionals, the owner of the cow in question, the guy from a nearby farm, are full of suggestions.

Joe said he could relate to the story and I said that I could, too. An architect for fifty years, he knows something about how buildings are put together. He spoke of a current situation where there's a window-meets-wall problem at our church and various men (a handyman, a retired librarian, etc.) are telling -- rather than asking -- him what the solution is. He tries to be patient.

My take was completely different. I thought back to occasions in my work as a hospital chaplain where I'd walk into a situation, bringing with me my graduate degree in pastoral care, my many units of clinical pastoral education, and many (though certainly not fifty!) years of experience, and be completely at a loss with that feeling of self-doubt, of knowing absolutely nothing.

The feeling never lasted long, of course. There was always some detail in the presentation that I could pick up on, to begin the work. Most of the time, there was a way to give something to the patient (or the family) that at least let them know that they were heard, and often there was more.

But that initial moment of groping . . . keeps one humble.
 

Comments

Barbara Anne said…
As a registered nurse, now retired, I've been in that situation,especially when others didn't know I spoke from my degree and experience. Tact and courtesy go a long way at those times.

I, too, love the Herriott books and we also enjoy Yorkshire Vet on BBC. It's gory at times and but as medical folks, we don't mind.

Hugs!
Quayquilter said…
We have watched the original series repeated too and more recently the new one which is also very good. Christopher Timothy and Peter Davison (James and Tristram) have remained lifelong friends and in the last year or two made a series driving around together in a rather splendid veteran car, Davison being a car enthusiast while Tristram was more cautious. Lovely to see the interplay between them. Meanwhile at lunchtime I am watching "Walter Presents" programmes on All 4, mostly murders and thrillers but currently a lovely Danish series called "Seaside Hotel" which is utterly delightful. I watch most things with sub titles anyway so that's no hardship.
The Herriot books were brilliant.
Nann said…
I've felt "imposter syndrome," too. We adjusted to the new All Creatures, both seasons, and we've added the original series via Britbox to our long list of series-in-progress. (Cadfael, Campion, Murdoch, etc. Wonder when they're going to stream the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries?).

As much as I love Diana Rigg, I think the original Mrs. Pumphrey (Margaretta Scott) is the best.
Janet O. said…
Love the Herriot books--hubby often reads a chapter to me as I putter in the kitchen. I have read them all, but he hasn't, so he is reading them to me as he makes his way through them. We also signed up for Britbox to watch the new series. So well done! We used to watch the older series with our family when our kids were all still in the nest.
He has such a way of illustrating human nature while telling us about animals. :)
Quiltdivajulie said…
As an engineer, DH encountered this dilemma many times. Too many are willing to offer their "knowledge" when what they really need to do is listen. Great post.