What's on the Wall Near Philadelphia

 

Since getting my 570, I've concentrated on easy, repetitive sewing. I had the notion that this would get me used to the new machine and establish some muscle memory, as there are some features that are different (read, "better") from the workhorse 1031 and the traded-in 350. In a recent post, I shared the first of these projects: the teensy nine-patches that surfaced and turned into a quilt for a yet-to-be-designated rather sophisticated baby.

I also unearthed these Levittown housing project blocks made by a friend who inexplicably passed them on to someone else and somehow they ended up in my orphanage.

I would not have thought of this gold/brown/indigo combination, but I find it striking. The maker -- bless her heart -- was, shall we say kindly, imprecise in her piecing and many of the blocks fell short of the anticipated 7-1/2" square. I decided that the only fix would be to cut some 1-1/4" strips from gold, dark blue and brown, add them to the deficient sides and then trim to the proper size. This worked (more or less). Digging around,  I located two different hunks of cream-with-white-stars and a CW brown to create lattice. It's going to need a couple of borders to bring it up to twin size and then it will be donated to a new effort to help those experiencing homelessness.

Comments

Quayquilter said…
I bought a 570 too some time ago but had some issues at first but am now happy straight stitching with it - a perfect seam!
Barbara Anne said…
What an interesting color combination for the house blocks and it's so wonderful that you're taking the time and effort to make these house blocks into a delightful quilt for someone!

Enjoying learning the ins and outs of your new machine.

Hugs!
Nann said…
I've had my "new" machine for four (five?) years. I have yet to put it through all its paces. The brown/gold/blue CW combination is nice. One way to disguise the imprecise piecing is to use a topsy-turvy triangle frame for each block.
Janet O. said…
Nice save on the varying sizes. Hey, neighborhoods put up fences all the time, and that is what your added strips brought to mind for me..
Honestly, when I just saw the photo of the blocks, without yet reading anything you had written, I thought it was a quilt to honor Ukraine, or raise money for them, or something. You are creating something useful and attractive from those orphan blocks.