Lancaster Diamond: The Idea

 

This is a terrible picture of a terrific quilt.

The "Lancaster Diamond" quilt is possibly the most intricate quilt that has ever interested me (that's right, I never succumbed [succame?] to the "Dear Jane" craze). I no longer remember when or where I saw the quilt pictured for the first time. But a year-and-a-half ago I saw a contemporary interpretation of it at the Oaks show and the memories came hurrying back. I heard there was a book about it and I had the seed of a notion that perhaps, just perhaps, I might attempt to make a version of that quilt. I've been on a quest, for some time now, to choose projects that are complicated and will take a fair amount of time to complete.

So I bought the book and promptly had the dreaded Second Thoughts. What kind of insanity would get me to actually undertake this undertaking?

What I didn't know was that my friend Bobbi, a prolific quilter for whom the word "dauntless" was likely invented, had also been captivated by the quilt and was secretly making a plan. Bobbi was serving as our guild's program chairman at the time and this was during that period of Covid when our meetings were held by Zoom. And one evening our guest speaker was none other than Ann Parsons Holte, the author of Making the Lancaster Diamond Sampler!

Bobbi had a scheme up her voluminous sleeve and enticing the guild's members was just a piece of it. To make a medium-length story more manageable, she is starting a quilt-along in January of 2023. She recognized that this was a project that would be more doable among friends (Of course it would! The original quilt was one of two apparently made by a pair of young women who were learning together how  to quilt) and she planned a way for participants to share their progress via Instagram.

Now, if you've been harboring (a) a fascination with the Lancaster Diamond quilt or (b) a strange desire to start a complicated project or (c) some other peculiarity I haven't thought of, go to your Instagram (no, I'm not a fan of Instagram but that's where it's happening) and look for lancasterdiamondqal. Oh, an get a copy of the book.

And, if you're curious abut that contemporary version that caught my eye . . . 


(Yes, that's my Halo 2 in the background!)

Comments

Nann said…
An ambitious project but with the company of likeminded quilters you'll achieve it! (For my part, I will cheer you on.)
Quiltdivajulie said…
I found a gently used copy of the book and have it on order. While I don't do much appliqué, the diamonds with pieced inserts intrigue me as they could more easily be machined. Time will tell what I do with this, but like you I love a mix of "down and dirty" straightforward quilts and those that require more involvement and time. I particularly like the contemporary version you shared. Do keep us posted on your progress!
Anonymous said…
Did you know that Brenda P, author of the Dear Jane book, was a collaborator to Ann as Ann recreated the quilt for her book, and was no doubt an influence in the organization of Ann's book? Great minds! I hope some of your readers will join in. https://www.instagram.com/lancasterdiamondqal/
Ms. Jan said…
I don't blame you for your fascination with this more contemporary version. It is quite tempting!!
Barbara Anne said…
What a glorious project to bravely embark on with your quilt guild! It will be interesting to see what the quiltmakers choose for their fabrics and borders (or none).

The book that has long tempted me is "Little Brown Bird" by Margaret Docherty, copyright 2000, published by AQS. The colors and fabrics are very traditional, but they don't have to be.

Hugs!
Anonymous said…
Could you explain the name of the quilt as it references. “Lancaster”. Is that Lancaster, PA. Just wondering the significance. Thanks, dotti in CT
Anonymous said…
I can't imagine that as a beginner quilter choosing this pattern to learn. I do like the colors of the newer version a lot better. Please keep us updated. Thanks for sharing.
that is a stunning quilt and certainly a daunting project....i am half tempted but not all the way....still gorgeous tho
Jeanne said…
I'm ready with book, template, fabric and Instagram :)