Lancaster Diamonds: More Fabrics!

 


On Saturday, Himself and I took a little junket out to Lancaster County. There is a certain stand at the Bird-In-Hand Farmers' Market that sells some sticky buns that he finds irresistible and I had a hankering to take him to lunch at a fabulous place my friend Kristine unearthed that is about a half-hour away. We took the back road that I like so much, South on 10 and then right on 340. Which, of course, brought us right into the heart of Intercourse and The Old Country Store. At this point Lizzy needed a bit of a run so the two of them went to a nearby field and met a horse while I went inside to seek solids for my quilt.

I ended up with nine solids, including white and black, that go with those wonderful Liberty prints. The gal who cut for me was on the young side (though who isn't anymore?) and she wanted to know what I was going to do with them. I showed her the snips of the prints I'd brought along and she recognized them immediately, saying that TOCS had had some of them but not all, and then confided that she'd bought the rest elsewhere. She asked me again what I was going to do and I said I was going to attempt a Lancaster Diamond and she gasped! Which caused the other lady who was cutting to come over to find out what was going on and then she gasped! Oh, the excitement! 

I didn't buy background or cornerstone fabrics. Our group leaders have advised us to make several blocks before making those decisions and I see no reason not to heed their counsel. I had thought I was going to get the palest green for the background and at this point I'm thinking perhaps the palest, palest gold might be the right thing. So we shall see.

Presently, I'm about two or three nights from being finished hand-piecing the border blocks for Blue Halo and once that is done, I do believe I will prep a couple of the appliqué diamonds.

Oh, I think if you click on the photo above, you can see up close those wonderful tiny prints!

Comments

Mystic Quilter said…
Nice fabrics but oh my, those blocks in the quilt have my head spinning! I'm going to enjoy watching this quilt being made.
Annemiek said…
I get the advice about background choices, but…… I made 111 blocks from the Farmer s wife quilt and after 20 blocks I thought it’d be a good idea to already sew the sashings on the right upper and bottom ( and the cornerstone in between them) of each block. It took so much time and was so boring that I almost gave up on the entire quilt! From then on, I sewed them on every block I made.
So: don’t wait too long to choose the fabric for that job is my advice…..
Buffy said…
I love the fabrics you chose for your Lancaster Diamonds quilt. Some of them have a distinctive Pennsylvania Dutch look to them, at least to my eyes. I look forward to watching and learning as you progress through creating this quilt. Thank you for your wonderful storytelling too!
Quiltdivajulie said…
Your fabrics are excellent and so much fun to look at! That range of prints is absolutely wonderful (and I agree with Buffy about the PA Dutch vibe). I am resisting going any further until the Zoom classes begin. I have my palette (all from the stash) and shall see what happens. And I totally reserve the right to re-direct as needed!
Lori said…
That sounds like a fun little getaway! Nie array of lovely fabrics too! Merry Christmas, Nancy.
Nann said…
The prints are charming. Let the diamond-quarrying begin!