Lancaster Diamond: Early June Update

 

I've reached the point in my diamonding where just about every block is challenging in one way or another. These fall into the categories of Seminole, Miniature Diamonds, or Oddball, as outlined by Ann Holte, the author of the book. 

I'm thankful to have discovered a paper-piecing tool for the tiny flying geese. The ones in this photo finish at 1-1/2" x 3/4" and I surely would not have enjoyed making them any other way. 

Seminole piecing was very difficult for me at the beginning, but after making a couple of blocks using this technique, I've come not to dread it.


The Oddball blocks -- well, what can I say?  This one was by far the most challenging for me (so far). I tried three different approaches before I found the one that worked for me. Some people paper-pieced it, which is what I would have done if I had thought to do it that way!

I ended up with a less than totally satisfactory but somewhat acceptable block by using a combination of piecing and applique along with a tiny paper pattern! It took for ever.




Comments

Quiltdivajulie said…
So many KUDOs to you for persisting with those challenging blocks!
Barbara Anne said…
You're earning more stars in your crown in successfully making these small complex diamonds. Applause, applause!!

Hugs!
Nann said…
You are doing a fine job as a gem-cutter with these blocks.
Mystic Quilter said…
Each individual block is a treasure! Those flying geese pieces look extremely daunting to me, good for you for making up the block.