O, Quilter -- Can You Help?

 

I've recently learned of a woman called Lark Eshleman who is doing some much-needed work; she's a psychotherapist out in Lancaster County whose expertise is helping children and adolescents who have experienced emotional trauma. This past winter Dr. Eshleman went to Romania where refugee children from Ukraine, who have lost so much, are being housed in orphanages, to do her work. 

She is scheduled to return to Romania -- working with the World Health Organization and International Office of Migration -- this September, where she will work personally with twenty-five Ukrainian boys and girls. She is also training other therapists to perform this specialized therapy.

A significant part of the care involves "security" blankets  quilts ( think Linus) that are approximately 36 by 50 inches, one per child. Lark would love to have a new quilt for each of the twenty-five children she will be supporting. I would like to help make that happen. Wouldn't you?

If you want to make a quilt for a hurting Ukrainian kid, now's the time! Get your quilt to me and I'll get it to Lark, so long as I have it no later than August 31. Quilted or tied, bright or subtle, a little bigger or smaller is no problem, obviously no camouflage or scary imagery, animal prints especially good. Questions? Let's hear 'em.

Let me know, please, when you are ready to send your quilt. I'll give you either my address (if you don't already have it) or a different address in Lancaster County.

I'm really excited about being a part of helping these kids back to something resembling wholeness.






Comments

Carol said…
would love to help with this project. I'll contact again for further info. Helping a child is such an endearing effort.
Sherron Davis said…
Put me down for two . What a wonderful cause! Sherry
Buffy said…
I love the idea of quilts for these children. Thanks for letting us know about this need. I just made a couple quilts with a variety of Charley Harper bird fabrics. However, they are about 46x61. Is that too big? If so, I'll make some other quilts in a smaller size. Thanks!
Millie said…
I'm in. Send me your address so I have it handy.

hugs,
Lynne
Arlyn Parker said…
I have three ready to go-I'll launder them and can ship them next week.
arlyn.parker@comcast.net
Quiltdivajulie said…
I would LOVE to help but Little Man will be here for much of July . . . . Perhaps I can enlist his help to make a quilt for a child in the Ukraine. . . . I will keep you posted, so for now list me as a very likely but not guaranteed. (I have your address)
Barbara Anne said…
Just this week I pulled a brand new quilt I made 30 years ago with the idea of donating it somewhere so this is perfect! It's a pink/green Rail Fence and is 36"x46". Will dig around to see if I can send more than this one. Do these quilts need labels or none at all?

I have your address somewhere but please send it to me again. Thank you.

Hugs!
Janet O. said…
This may get my quilting juices flowing again, Nancy. Put me down for one. Won't be fancy, but hopefully it will be fun!
Nann said…
I'm in, Nancy! Happy to help.
Buffy said…
Sending my email address so you are able to send your mailing address to me. Thanks!
Anonymous said…
Sending you an email to get your address to mail at least 3 quilts. Thanks!
Kathy
Bonnie said…
Thanks to Nann I'm going to get one, maybe two done for you. 36 x 50" seems an odd size but if that is what you want that is what you'll get.
julieQ said…
I am working on one now, to send for the cause. Thank you for letting us know about this great project!!!
Cathy said…
Send me your address. I probably have one or two 40 x 50 or 40 x 60.
Mari said…
Great idea! If you send me the address, I will send out a quilt appropriate for a child. Thanks for asking!
lila said…
i would love to send a quilt; where to?

Lila