WIPs, UFOs, and PIGS


My friend Jan wrote in her blog about her WIPs, UFOs, and PIGS, something that has been very much on my own mind of late. Most quilters have an abundance of Works In Progress, UnFinished Objects, and Projects in Grocery Sacks.
. . . .
One of my quilting lists has a UFO challenge, where we each register projects to complete at the rate of one per month. That has helped some. But some of the time I end up completing a totally different project. One month I won the drawing -- it yielded me about a dozen unrelated Fat Quarter cast-offs. Seemed like a bit of a self-defeating project.
. . . .
Just under a year ago I developed an Excel spreadsheet of UFOs, thinking that this would help me get organized and get them finished. Had I been thinking realistically, I'd have realized that over the coming year, not only would I not finish all of them, but, in fact, I'd add many, many more.
. . . .
Coming very close to a year since the establishment of the spreadsheet, the number of projects finished actually IS greater than the number that was added, netting me a total of approximately three or four projects finished in the year. But I press on (you should pardon the pun).
. . . .
This week my hand-sewing group of about three years now, the Uvulas (don't ask) met. Four of us each brought PIGS (Project In Grocery Sacks) and swapped them. We each have until October to complete the PIGS that we received. It was fun to watch the openings. Emily found an assortment of murky heart blocks, none of which seemed to have a common color. Bonnie withdrew five red/white/blue SWASTIKA blocks -- can't imagine what she'll do with those. Helen got my three batik turtle blocks complete with additional blue batik fabric to aid with the finishing. I was the lucky one, I think. I opened my bag to find five very goofy, charming and exceedingly long-legged chicken blocks and some yellow and white pinwheels. Don't know what to do with them, but if this blog lasts as long as October, we'll find out together!

Comments