Aunts: One

It's been so long since I bought the pattern for The Aunts' Quilt that I no longer remember where it had caught my eye. It has to be two or three years, at least. I don't know if I even opened it once I had it and had seen by the cover precisely how intricate it was going to be. And I was in a "no buying fabric" phase at the time, so it just got put away. Somewhere.

I do remember being impressed at the correct apostrophe usage (the designer has two aunts, Kerry and Sue).

For the last year or so, I've been in a "make more difficult, time-consuming quilts" phase because we still only have two beds and every family member has received at least one.

This morning in the shower (does this happen to you, too? that [1] God speaks or [2] brilliant ideas come to the surface in the shower? In this case, I'm pretty sure it was the latter) I thought about a pack of FQs that I had seen on line and purchased with no plan in mind and once they arrived I had even less than no plan for them, though they were downright captivating. And I thought about Kerry and Sue (though not by name) and their Quilt. And I thought about how extremely happy I am to be an aunt (and a great aunt and a grand aunt and whatever other kind I am). And these thoughts all came together -- believe it or not -- and I do believe I am going to get started! I will begin with the dozen pieced blocks and then set the scraps from them aside for the appliqué blocks. Which will take a very long time. But that is fine.

The fabric is "Fantasy" by Sally Kelly for Windham and will be augmented with selected coordinating solids and once I'm ready to start the appliqué blocks, I'll pick out the backgrounds for the squares and the triangles and the border and oh my won't it be Fantastic!


Comments

Quiltdivajulie said…
Yup - shower and driving the car are the two times more ideas pop into my head. The Aunts' Quilt is going to be fabulous!!!
Karla said…
What an amazing quilt your Aunts’ Quilt will be.
Anonymous said…
That fat quarter bundle looks like a perfect pick for that quilt. Have fun working on it. Thanks for sharing.
Janet O. said…
I got a giggle about the correct usage of the apostrophe. You are right that it is often placed incorrectly in such a situation.
The FQ bundle certainly does have the "feel" of this quilt. Should be lovely together.
Barbara Anne said…
What a charming pattern and those yummy Windham fabrics by Sally Kelly will be perfect for it!

Last night two UFOs were calling to me in my dreams and I was surprised to find they weren't finished when I awoke. I certainly dreamed of finishing them.

I still use apostrophes.

Hugs!