Being Seventy: One

I'm not quite five years late in reading this book. And it's a bit ironic to point out that I can't remember where or how I came upon it! I just know that somehow it got on my list of books to read and now I've done that.

The author was a Quaker and a Philadelphian. Those two things alone likely would have led me to find out more about her. 

I read the book recently and found parts of it to be very rich indeed. I really wasn't interested in the parts about her Japanese connection (she was tutor to the Crown Prince). What was meaningful to me was her reflections on growing old.

Growing old has been in my consciousness for the past couple of years, and when I learned that this writer intentionally pondered aging over the course of her seventieth year, I wanted to know more.

Interestingly, Mrs. Vining lived twenty-seven more years after writing this book.


I copied out ten little bits from Being Seventy. Bits I want to think more about. Here's one such bit:


Page 5: In younger years one said lightly, “I don’t want to live forever. I certainly don’t want to grow old the way Aunt Hester has.” And one quoted cheerily the Gaelic proverb, “Save when he comes too late, death is a friend.”


A friend he is, I truly believe, but a formidable one; a friend to be anticipated and prepared for as well as welcomed. And his harbingers — those officials who in Elizabethan days and earlier preceded the royal personage, conferring with the prospective host, preparing rooms, making demand — his harbingers are often weariness, illness, pain, and mental diminshment. We may, of course, meet him unexpectedly in the earlier years, but after seventy we are certain to encounter him soon, and his shadow often walks beside us in the new landscape.


Comments

Barbara Anne said…
How interesting. As I approach 69, "Being Seventy" will go on my To Read list.

I look at my UFOs and feel a responsibility to finish them, to make something from my several beribboned bundles of fabrics that just look lovely together, to make my strips into donation quilts, and to pass on fabrics I won't ever use.

Hugs!
Quiltdivajulie said…
Interesting indeed. Looking forward to the bits you'll be sharing. I have a less than 5 years to 70 - sobering thought (how DID I get to be this old?!!). Anyway, I, too, am preparing by focusing on what I WANT to make in the studio and letting other projects go (often to others) to take that silent pressure off.
Bracelet Abore said…


When i need some spiritual help someone directed me to him and what he do for me work perfectly that why I'm using this medium to help him out so that he can connect to more people like you to help you out for some spiritual help...
👉His Priest Voodoo Hoodoo...He do all types of spell which you may need such as (1) Love spell (2) Money spell (3) Financial spell (4) Business promotion (5) ex husband/Wife back spell (6) Revenge spell (7) Pregnancy spell (8) Spell to get rid of evil (9) Spell to remove blockage (10) Spell to remove Curse (11) Body protection (12) Body protection from gun (13) he also cure all kind of diseases (HIV/Aid, Lupus, Diabetes, weak erection) (14) Release from prison and many more...Contact him on Telegram @priesthoodoo ... You can reach me on Email or hangouts... priestvoodoohoodoo@gmail.com
Yes, at 68 I have been REALLY pondering getting old. I try to keep my mind young. I try to embrace new ideas. I try not to dwell too long on the political scene that is not going my way and that it is in a place that I never thought I would see. I wonder what my father would say if he saw the state of the world since he died more than 30 years ago. Almost every day I learn something new. Did you know Canadian Geese poop green? I didn't until I almost stepped in it, lol.
xx, Carol
Rebecca Eller said…
Spell to fix your broken marriage or relationship problem or after a divorce or Breakup,I was recently scam by two of them, until one faithful day i meet a man called Dr Oselumen who help me to get back to the father of my kid after we have been separated for two years,I only pay for the items required for the spell and he cast the spell for me within 24hours my ex husband called me and beg me to forgive him for everything until the end of the world he will never leave me again we are back together.if you need a real and quick love spell or you are passing through pregnancy problem Dr Oselumen is the answer, Please if any body needs. LOVE SPELL,LOTTERY,PREGNANCY SPELL, DIVORCE SPELL,STOP COURT CASE AND WIN ANY COURT PROBLEM,DEATH SPELL,BUSINESS SPELL AND MANY MORE YOU MAY NEED. Email him now for your own help. via email droselumen@gmail.com add him on whatsapp line or call +2348054265852.