The Quick Brown Fox

My friend Dayle put this picture up on Facebook this morning, and mentioned the turquoise portable model she'd used in college. Got me to thinking back in time.

Lynn lived around the corner from me and was my BFF for many years. She had a magnificent, albeit very shallow, in-ground pool in her back yard and her basement had a little stage. The people her family had bought the house from were apparently well-to-do, indulgent parents (Lynn's sister Jan's bedroom had "Barry" inscribed in the linoleum on the floor). Her mom was more easy-going than mine, more welcoming of friends, so our main indoor play area was that basement. We devised all kinds of games, re-enactments, and make-believes to fill the long summer days. 

Then there was the typewriter. It was a huge thing, a Remington Rand, and with paper I brought from home (my father was the source), we set up offices, wrote scripts, and generally had limitless creative fun.

I was heartbroken when, at the end of our elementary school years, Lynn's dad took a job in Florida and the family moved. I was at the house on the day before the moving van was to come, and Mr. Cooper said, "Nancy, you've always liked that typewriter. Do you want it?" Movers were paid by the pound, and transporting that RR hulk just wasn't worth the cost. 

I was almost consoled in the loss of my good friend. The typewriter! Mine! I borrowed a wagon from the boy down the street and hauled it home and somehow got it inside. I was so excited. "Look what the Coopers gave me!"

My father, a very wise man, responded, "That was very nice of them. It's too bad you aren't allowed to use it." 

Stopped in my tracks, I suppressed the building outrage within and did my very best listening. 

He continued, "If you play with a typewriter now, when you get to high school and take typing, it will be very hard for you because you'll have bad habits." His Smith-Corona was on his desk, and he was the fastest two-fingered hunt-and-pecker on the face of the earth, I was sure. Then he provided the escape clause: If I was willing to learn to type correctly now, I could have it. The next day he produced a little book about typewriting self-taught. It came with a pull-out chart that he taped on the wall above the machine; it showed the keyboard with the home row keys highlighted. 

And that was how I spent my summer without Lynn. Learning to type. I didn't miss my friend as much as I thought I would! I spent hours in our basement, and when the fox finally jumped over that lazy dog, I don't know who was prouder: me or my father

Comments

Janet O. said…
What a wise father.
We had an old Remington typewriter when I was growing up, and I never learned to type correctly. I typed all of my high school and college papers (and my high school newspaper articles) with the hunt and peck method. I used more than two fingers, but not by much. I recently typed up my Dad's 200+ page history and am now working on my Mom's, and I am a pretty fast hunt and peck typist now myself--but I wish I had learned to do it the right way!
Lynley said…
I spent one school break teaching myself to type from my mother’s 1950s typing text book! goodness knows why she kept it, or why I got inspired (maybe it was raining?) but I had such fun and it has proved unbelievably useful .... frtg frtg frtg frtg - I did that for days!
Good Story!! Gosh, I will date myself if I say I DID type on a manual typewriter. I took two years of typing in high school. The first year we used Remingtons. By the second year our school had IBM Selectrics. I also learned to use a desk top computer when I got older. It operated in DOS and was actually one that Bill Gates built in his dorm room. Gosh am I old!
xx, Carol
Quiltdivajulie said…
Oh - hooray for your father's insight and challenge. We are all the beneficiaries of your typing skills (as you share your wonderful insights and observations).
Hubblebird said…
At Secretarial College we had to type in time with a metronome to build up our touch typing speed! My first job was in a typing pool. Forty clattering typewriters, a thick smog of cigarette smoke, regimented morning and afternoon tea breaks and a hour off for lunch. The tea lady came around at 10.30am and 3.00pm every day. We started work at 8.30am and finished on the dot of 5.00pm. All incoming work was sorted by the Warrant Officer and placed in one enormous in basket. We had to take the top file only back to our desks to work on and woe betide you if you tried to pick out an easier job from elsewhere in the pile! We forty young women had great fun and ended the week with a Friday night drink at the pub. Happy days in the early 1980s. Of course we eventually moved on to word processors and floppy disks and they were still happy days.