Halo: Process


Here's an initial progress/process report on Halo. 

After I wrote my recipe that I shared in a previous post, I got to thinking that all black halos would be too intense. So for my first block I used purple. 

I was delighted with how the block turned out; I liked the colors, the fussy cut, the arrangement. 

Feeling pretty good, I shared the block with my two fellow Halo-makers and one of the pointed out that making unified blocks would change the whole focus of the quilt, away from the halos and to the individual blocks.

That wasn't what I wanted. 


I decided to try making a block that would use the blacks for the halos and vary the fabrics in the other elements other than the solids surrounding the center fussy cut. 

I found that I liked this block more than the first one! Turns out I didn't want all text prints for the intervals, but rather assorted low volumes. But I still wasn't sure about the all-black halos.
I made two more blocks. This time I used assorted low volumes for the intervals and various darks for the halos. I left the solids surrounding the fussy cuts. 

I liked the finished first block a lot. But I found that using the same color for the pies drew my eye out to the pies.

In the second one I did the fussy cut with the solids, assorted low volumes, various darks, and very different for pies.

I like this one the best.

I really like how it looks with the two of them together.

These blocks are all hand pieced, and each one took about one and a half evenings of Netflix time to make. 

I'm really glad I made so many trial blocks, even though that first one will probably be unpicked and harvested as body parts for future blocks. It was good for me to do the process.

Comments

Quiltdivajulie said…
I like where you went with this - the multiple darks for the halos, the solids for the center surround, and the multiplicity of fabrics for the other parts. Your version will be stunning - happy hand stitching!
Barbara Anne said…
I love your test blocks and decisions and look forward to seeing how this dynamic quilt grows. Isn't it a joy to have a great fabric stash that provides different fabrics when you're working on a new project? No need to leave home.

Also got a chuckle out of your way to mark the time it takes to hand piece one of these blocks: Netflix hours!

Recently I saw a cute cartoon asking if anyone else is getting "three weeks to the gallon of gas"!!

Hugs!


AnnieO said…
The audition process is fascinating! Also a lot of handwork but worth doing rather than abandoning the project later :) Your scrappy choices are very lively and move the eye around a lot. I cannot ever see myself hand piecing an entire quilt, I am much too impatient!
Nanci said…
I love the process you went through trying to determine the direction the block should go. Too often we just makes blocks and keep going. Taking the time to make test blocks will so improve the end result you were looking for.I am in the process of cutting pieces for a Dear Dottie quilt which somewhat resembles with block. Since I already have so many machine projects in the works I think I am going to hand piece mine as well as its just so peaceful in the evenings to do handwork.Can't wait to see your progress.
Janet O. said…
Like Annie, I am probably too impatient to do something like this, but I really like the look you have achieved. Kudos to you for doing these hand stitched "big" projects. It is pretty impressive.
Nann said…
I think your next design decision will be about the pie slices inside the rings -- specifically, how they will look when you put blocks next to one another. Do you want them to be comparable in color? In print density? Light/dark contrast? Because it's one thing to see the blocks individually where the focal point is the square-in-a-square center. It's another thing when the blocks adjoin and the black rings become circles and the pie slices touch. [How's that for a mangled description?]
Robby said…
I'm behind on my reading due to life, but I'm so glad I went back and read this post. Your experimental process was interesting and thoughtful. This quilt has been on my wish list, but I've felt overwhelmed by the choices. You've made it seem a bit more accessible. Thanks for sharing in detail.