End of Summer Finishes (2 of 3)

 


Steam Punk was photographed yesterday. I had long admired the design but was put off by the curves. At the start of 2020 one of my goals was to get more comfortable with curved piecing; this seemed like a good way to do that. The blocks are all hand pieced and it was tremendous fun planning each one and watching it come to fruition.

My friend Bobbi claims to be smitten with Jen Kingwell and her patterns. Bobbi has made several JK quilts. Early into the smittency, I investigated JK and found most of her patterns to be too busy for my taste. Then I discovered A Wild Ride which I made in a controlled colorway. I wasn't overjoyed with my results but making the quilt added to my paper-piecing confidence level. And I realized by the end that a controlled color way was not the way to make a JK project!

Since then, I've found that for me the way to do a busy JK design is to develop a recipe to follow. For Steam Punk the recipe was [mostly] fussy-cut centers, carefully chosen pies with coordinating crust, and low volume backgrounds, using just four fabrics for each block.

I gained a lot of experience with appliquéing the centers of these blocks. I prolly could use some more practice with this.

If you've followed this blog recently, you know I'm hand-piecing another JK pattern, Halo. I'm loving every minute of it and am undaunted by the curves involved. 

I wouldn't go so far as to say I've caught the JK smittency from Bobbi, but look what's on my wish list for someday! I'm thinking this pattern might be just the thing to bring in a new year (if 2020 ever ends)!

Comments

Barbara Anne said…
Applause, applause, applause!!!!!

Hugs!
AnnieO said…
Wow, it turned out just beautifully! I love her scrappy mixing and use of so many prints but it can easily get muddied if your contrast isn't high enough. I made JK Dreamweaver pattern but upsized it considerably and simplified the D9P background to plain squares. Mine was all machine pieced and appliqued. The applique was the hardest part due to a lot of skipped stitches. It was a wedding gift for my son and DIL.
Quiltdivajulie said…
This turned out SO beautifully -- you should be SUPER DUPER pleased with yourself. Congratulations. And that next project looks like something you'll also enjoy. (I like LOOKING at JK designs - making them, not so much.)
Quayquilter said…
Super quilt, Nancy. As someone who also finds JK busy but has friends who are avid fans I found your recipe idea very illuminating. I have had Gipsy Wife on hold for a long time.
Robby said…
I enjoy looking at JK patterns but the idea of making a million fabric choices always does me in. Looking at your version of Steam Punk, I think you're really hit on something with that "recipe" concept. It might take me a bit to decide on my over-arching plan, but then it would only feel like a few decisions at a time. Brilliant, just as your finished Steam Punk is.
Nann said…
Well, gee. I step away from Bloglovin' for a couple of days and miss all kinds of updates -- in particular, yours. All three of your recently-finished quilts are great but Steampunk is my favorite! (Though it may have a tough time when you have Halo finished.)