Rosh Hashanah (Happy New Year)



My Facebook friend and local official John began his September newsletter with the thought that this month is "the gateway to fall and all the emotions that come with it." It was as though he'd taken the words out of my mouth or at least the thought out of my brain. For the emotions this particular autumn are intensified.

I've long thought that my Jewish sisters and brothers have it right: Fall is when the year begins. This is ingrained in us from the time we are five or six years old. Remember how strange it felt the day after Labor Day the first year you were not attending school? Or maybe you are a teacher and have not yet had that experience! None of this January1 business for me: The heck with champagne and dropping balls as symbols; bring on the school supplies and the pumpkins.

My Facebook-and-real friend Kristina has been painting a series of lovely green trees, one each day, as she adjusts to a new season in her life. I wonder if she's also stocked up on ochres and umbers in her paint box as those verdant hues give way to other shades.

But back to the emotions of autumn. Among them I find:

  • A new beginning
  • The temporary end to carefree days
  • The season of light yielding to the season of dark
  • The good feeling of reaching for a sweater while bemoaning the putting away of sandals
  • A time of introspection, of reflection
  • That knowledge that life goes on as it should, but at the same time a feeling of wariness
Our Governor (another public servant and admiree) recently published his "Fall Agenda." I mentioned to Honna that I thought this was a good thing as we enter this season and she urged me to develop a Fall Agenda of my own, as this is a new beginning for me, a Retired Person. It was a good exercise. Another friend, also apprehensive about what lies ahead, shared a link for practical anticipation. Lots of worthwhile stuff there. 

While you think about what autumn means for you, take a look at this art that Kristina made, soon to grace the windowsill in my morning room, reminding me that summer will return, in due time.








Comments

Mrs. Goodneedle said…
Yes! Yes!! Fall has always felt like a new beginning to me too, I can totally relate to this thinking. Ecclesiastes 3:1
Quiltdivajulie said…
I've long felt the pull to stop and re-evaluate as the calendar moves from August into September. Project lists, plans, menus, clothes in the closet, car maintenance, yard stuff, and so much more. Beautiful post my dear - off to visit the link you shared. Thank you.
Barbara Anne said…
I think of a box of new crayons, new pencils, notebook paper (or those grade school tablets and fat pencils), once upon a time Nifty Notebooks, and such when September comes. Yes, for me the first day of school was the day after Labor Day.

On the 1st day of Autumn, I'll hang my Autumn wall quilts, change the throw pillows and my tablecloths. Bliss!

I, too, and off to check out the link you posted.

Hugs!