End of Summer Finishes (3 of 3)

 


The Aunts' Quilt was a challenging project. The pieced blocks were finished fairly quickly and then the fabric was set aside for a time. 

Himself and I were scheduled to visit Holland and France in April, so early in February I began cutting and the appliqué pieces for the alternate blocks that I would hand buttonhole. I thought that putting two or three of the blocks in a ziplock bag with a couple of skeins of green floss would take up very little space in my luggage and provide me with something to work on during the trip.

Covid-19 had other plans. As soon as we were shut down for the Pandemic, I began the hand-stitching in the evenings, thinking the project would take many months, most likely the duration of the Pandemic. Hah! 

This quilt more-or-less breaks my self-imposed rule of not making a quilt using just one line of fabrics. All of the prints are from the same line ("Fantasy" by Sally Kelly for Windham) and I added assorted solids that would go with them.

Comments

What a beautiful finish! Sometimes it’s good to break the rules :)
Barbara Anne said…
Lovely and such wonderful hand stitching! This quilt will shine wherever and whenever it is used for all time.

Do you have a place in your home that this quilt could hang on the wall? I enjoy having small seasonal or holiday quilts hanging in our wee entry hall but do have one very small Many Mini-Fans quilt that is over my grandfather's desk in our living room and it is there year around.

Hugs!
Quiltdivajulie said…
Another absolutely beautiful finish. I'm glad you broke "your rule" and put this one together the way you did. It is stunning.
All three of your finishes are pretty spectacular. And a lot of hand stitching.
starsthatblaze said…
As a result of your comments on the book "Being Seventy" by Elizabeth Gray Vining, I bought a copy and plan to start reading it tomorrow when I turn 70. I look forward to what this next year holds. Thank you so much, Nancy, for sharing yourself with those of us who read your blog!

Starr Brown
FabricDiva54 said…
Congratulations on a beautiful finished quilt! Your posts are always inspirational, but this one even more so. I have a half yard bundle of this fabric waiting to be used. Thank you for sharing!
Jindi's Cottage said…
Gorgeous...I'm not a one range person either but your The Aunts' Quilt has come up a treat...